Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Question about Miami travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/question-about-miami-travel-1007745/)

JoeTro Mar 6th, 2014 02:13 PM

Question about Miami travel

Hi, all.

I've received a job interview at University of Miami, and I'd like to stay an extra night (over a Friday night) after the interview to explore further. Thought I would go down to South Beach, and maybe there again most of the Saturday before leaving from the airport.

The problem is my interview conflicts with the Ultra Music Festival. So, nearly all the hotels are booked or are very expensive. I've booked into the Miami Airport Marriott. Just wondering if it would really be feasible to go from Coral Gables to the airport, only to then take the 150 bus to/from the airport to South Beach. Perhaps once Friday night and again on Saturday. Especially with all of the craziness going on there? Not sure much about this Ultra Music Festival or how wild it will get.

Ackislander Mar 7th, 2014 02:36 AM

Congratulations on the interview!

I may be paranoid on this, though I am not generally a paranoid person, but I would not take a bus between MIA and South Beach late at night or early in the morning. The airport seems to me to be in a fairly scary area, and I have been in all sorts of places in London and the Paris banlieues without fear.

I hope you find help here, but I would certainly inquire locally at the time of your interview. I don't think a cab is outrageously expensive, or you might take an airport van to and from one of the hotels at SoBe.

It will be well worth the trouble, as it is a unique place.

JoeTro Mar 7th, 2014 06:34 AM

Hmmm, thanks. The airport van idea I hadn't considered (though, I wouldn't be a guest there). I've been to SoBe before and took a taxi, though it would be more expensive coming from the airport. I was planning on taking the 150 Airport Flyer, but it looks like it no longer stops at the airport terminal proper, which may make it difficult. The Marriott airport there is also a couple of miles away from the airport, so I'd use that hotel shuttle to get actually to the airport.

JoeTro Mar 27th, 2014 12:10 PM

I'm going to stay in sobe and will be transiting from Holiday Inn Coral Gables around 4:30 to 5 between these two areas. I assume traffic will be insane, especially with the downtown music festival. Could I try to take the metroline to Brickell or Government Center and then a cab from a hotel there? Or should I just take a cab all the way?

JoeTro May 4th, 2014 04:00 PM

Just to close this loop, I had a wonderful stay at Blue Moon on points. Was glad I bit the bullet and stayed in SoBe proper.

sludick May 4th, 2014 04:06 PM

Good to hear back from you, JoeTro! Did you end up taking the Metroline?

JoeTro May 4th, 2014 06:42 PM

I took the metro to Brickell and then a cab from the JW. Traffic was insane at that hour and with the music festival.

Ackislander May 5th, 2014 03:37 AM

Thanks for reporting back.

JoeTro May 7th, 2014 11:21 AM

Sure. As a mini trip-report:

1) Took Metrorail from my interview at U of M to Brickell, then a cab to Blue Moon. Collins was all torn up, but I loved the location of the hotel being just a tiny bit removed from Ocean and from Washington. Did some walking around the area, and had an awesome happy hour at Mondrian (awesome location, basically no liquid in my drink, though the price was cheap). I had dinner inside the Angler's Hotel (awesome service, rather disappointing food) and went to a couple of the gay bars (was rather traumatized by the go-go boys at Twist).

Saturday morning, I went to the beach for around an hour, had a yummy lunch at Palace, and did a ton of walking around until it was time for the Airport Express back.

Dukey1 May 7th, 2014 01:42 PM

I am also glad to know you didn't get robbed, mugged, or worse in "scary" Miami environs. After all, the last big one was on the steps of a mansion IN South Beach!!!!

JoeTro May 7th, 2014 01:48 PM

Ha ha, no. I did get groped rather too much, as did a guy I really wanted to hit on, before he fell under the charms of the South American men at Twist.