Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Question about Letterman show (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/question-about-letterman-show-216817/)

xxx May 8th, 2002 03:23 AM

Question about Letterman show

I've searched every web site I can find -- including the one for 'Late Night' -- and can't find the answer to this question: I know about calling the phone line at 11 a.m. to try to get standby tickets, and I know where the show is taped. What I can't find out is, if I get tickets, what time I pick them up and what time the show is taped.<BR><BR>Help please!!!

dave May 8th, 2002 03:33 AM

I think we picked up tickets at 4-4:30. The show is taped at 5:30. We entered the studio about 5. The band does some warm ups. Dave comes out for a few minutes before the taping to talk with the audience. We were out of the theater at around 6:40. It's a great time- I'd love to go again if tickets weren't so hard to get!

xxxxxxx May 8th, 2002 03:55 AM

Thanks SO much!!! Now cross your fingers that we actually get tickets tomorrow!!!! (and that I know the answer to the alleged trivia question if I do get through the phone line!)

Suzy May 8th, 2002 04:04 AM

One time, the trivia qustion was, What is the name of the band that plays on the show.

Tania May 8th, 2002 10:56 AM

Even if you don't get standby tickets at 11am, try walking by the theatre at around noon. Often the pages give out tickets outside the theatre when they are concerned that there may be a light audience that evening. You still have to answer a trivia question to get the tickets that way though. I've seen the show three times that way. Once my trivia question was "Where is Paul from?" (the answer is Canada, or if you really want to impress them Thunder Bay, Ontario) and the other time the question was "who is the stage manager?" (Bif Henderson)

john May 9th, 2002 07:43 AM

If you are staying in a hotel, the concierge may help with getting tickets. At Doubletree they had a form you filled out and the hotel faxed it to Letterman Show. We got a call later that day from show and got on the "gold list". Picked up tickets at 4...went in at 5. Great fun!

gail May 9th, 2002 08:15 AM

Bring something warm to wear. My husband went to a taping and Letterman has some weird thing about keeping the studio at about 60 degrees. They were told that when they got tickets, and he ended up having to buy an overpriced sweatshirt and still froze.

brrrrrrrrrr May 9th, 2002 08:22 AM

I believe Dave maintains low temps in the theatre to "keep the comedy fresh" --- if you're a regular watcher, you'll notice that his guests often comment on the chilly climate inside. So dress accordingly. <BR>

Suzy May 9th, 2002 08:39 AM

Personally, I suspect that the low temp in the theater is so that Letterman and his guests, under the hot lights, won't break a sweat.

JP May 9th, 2002 12:57 PM

depending on how far in advance you're trying to book tickets the latenight website [at www.cbs.com] has an online location where you can submit your name and dates for tickets. then they call you if tickets come up.<BR><BR>I did this a month ago and got tickets no trouble for monday's show.<BR><BR>we had to pick our tickets up between 3-4pm and then had to be back for 4:15 to get in line for seating. <BR><BR>we had front row seats and it really wasn't that hard.<BR><BR>and YES, the theatre is freezing but just bring a sweater and you'll be fine.<BR><BR>good luck and have fun!<BR>JP