Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Question about Galatoire's in New Orleans (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/question-about-galatoires-in-new-orleans-528309/)

MzPossum May 11th, 2005 11:46 AM

Question about Galatoire's in New Orleans

Still planning the girls reunion. I am interested in Galatoire's for a Saturday night dinner, but I've read several reviews that the service can be snobby and or slow. Food looks great but we don't want to be looked down on. Any comments appreciated! Thank you!

Wayne May 11th, 2005 12:04 PM

If you are friendly, the staff will be friendly. If you don't like a waiter who is an authority on the food he serves, then you might not want to go. The waiters are all well trained and are definitely not snobbish. Many of them have been working there for 20 years or more.

I remember a waiter who was very impressive when my girl friend and I had dinner there one night. We were later married and we ended up at Galatoire's for our thirtieth anniversary celebration. The same waiter was there, and he remembered us!

MzPossum May 11th, 2005 12:19 PM

Wayne, thank you so much for the encouraging reply. We are nothing if not friendly! This might be just the place for our farewell dinner (also thinking about Mr. B's Bistro)

snowrooster May 11th, 2005 12:26 PM

While I certainly appreciate Wayne's opinion (he has been valuable in helping me plan an upcoming trip), I have to say that dh and I had a HORRIBLE experience at Galatoire's several years ago.

Our waiter must have been working there for 100+ years and he was quite definitely snobbish (he stood over me while I signed the credit card receipt watching me write in the tip). I wasn't impressed with the food either - I ordered a crab dish and it had very small bits of shell in it.

That's my take on the place. My dad, however, loves it. Met a well-connected local who told me she and her lady friends love to go there, but really just to drink!

I'm not sure if you are the same person who posted a question about NOLA, but dh and I went there on our last visit and thought it was fabulous. Trying some new spots this time around - can't wait!!

Wayne May 11th, 2005 12:29 PM

Just another note: If you want old-fashioned New Orleans cooking and service, go to Galatoire's. For a more modern experience with a different kind of menu (still N.O. type stuff) then Mr. B's is the place. When I go into Galatoire's I feel as if I stepped back into the 1930's or 1940's.

MzPossum May 11th, 2005 12:39 PM

Wayne, thanks for answers to both my postings on NOLA (yes, snowrooster, that's me, too) and Galatoire's. I live in Baton Rouge but have really only eaten lunches in New Orleans and tend to go more to the Gumbo Shoppe, Masparo's type places (which I like very much) "the girls" are from out of state and only 2 of us have really been to New Orleans before (sadly, we're only there for an afternoon, but can't be helped)
thanks!

JohnNewOrleans May 11th, 2005 12:44 PM

I love Galatoires. Definitely a New Orleans experience. Sitting downstairs is a must, in my opinion, as the people watching is part of the fun. Food is very good. Menu doesn't change so the kitchen knows how to do it at this point!

DownSouth May 11th, 2005 12:54 PM

Galatoire's was just named the winner of the culinary industry's highest honor, the James Beard Foundation's 2005 San Peligrino Outstanding Restaurant Award. This award is based on quality and excellence in food, atmosphere and service. You must go - it's classic.

LilMsFoodie May 11th, 2005 02:44 PM

I have been there many times starting over 30 years ago and have never found the service anything but wonderful. The waiters here could work at any top restaurant in the world.

The food is classic in the French tradition with a creole flair. They have an upstairs room but do try to sit downstairs. You will be sitting with families and business people and mainly locals that have called this restaurant Home for all their lives. I am pleased that it has been honored with a James Beard award.
LMF

PamSF May 11th, 2005 02:51 PM

Galatoire's really is old world NOLA. I loved it. While I thought the food was good not great, I found the experience wonderful. My favorite time to go is Sunday lunch. Folks are there after church and the table hopping is fun to partake of.

volcam May 11th, 2005 06:06 PM

I've dined at Galatoire's several times since 1992, when I first was treated to a fabulous dinner at the restaurant. On that occasion I was taking my parents (who were skeptical diners) to dinner, and they were absolutely bowled over by the ambience, food and service. That experience has been repeated every time since then that I have dined there. My wife and I have dined there, sometimes with another couple and sometimes on our own, just about every time we're in New Orleans. As other people have stated, Galatoires's is "old New Orleans." It is representative of a grand time in a grand city, when dinner is an honored and revered event to be savored with good friends and family. To me, the downstairs dining room, mirrored walls, crisply starched white tablecloths, water carafes, and smartly attired waitstaff are the essence of fine dining. While some of the waitstaff may appear crusty, never once have I felt that any question I asked about the menu was belittled or dismissed by the server. I try to be friendly and inquisitive wherever I dine, and I've found that the servers at Galatoire's respond professionally. In summary, if you want a classic New Orleans experience--one that is still treasured by locals--by all means take time to savor the place.

MzPossum Jun 2nd, 2005 11:23 AM

A big thanks to everyone who answered my questions about this restaurant (and NOLA) However, "the girls", upon much discussion, have all decided upon Muriels for our last dinner out. Have heard very good things about this one, also. It's next weekend, so I'll let everyone know how it went.

Byrd Jun 2nd, 2005 11:48 AM

MzPossum,

Galatoire's is probably our favorite restaurant anywhere, but just last week we had a really good dinner at Muriel's.

Be sure to try the goat cheese crepe with crawfish as an appetizer.

Have fun!

Byrd