Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Queen's Bath vs Olivine Pools: Which is better?

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or is there a similar but better spot?
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 08:06 AM

I'm not familiar w/the Queens's Bath, but I was at the Olivine Pools last week. The scenery is amazing, it's worth the drive & the hike to the edge & down the lava, but we did not go into the pools as they were murky & the ocean was RAGING right behind, spilling into the pools constantly. A slight disappointment that we couldn't swim in them, but worthwhile all the same!
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 08:10 AM

We visited Queens bath in Kauai's Princeville Resort Area in March and found the path near the bath to be tricky, slippery, and muddy, and it must have been low tide because it did not look appealing. Others have stated that they found QB fantastic, and looking on the plus side- there is a stream with a small waterfall you pass on the way there, and at least the hike is a short one at ~15-20 minutes. Have not yet been to Olivine Pools on Maui
Hope this helps.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 04:53 PM
bquarre

I have not been to the Olivine Pools, but visited Queen's Bath in July. It was crowded and we stayed 15 minutes. Not worth the trip down the hill I thought. It's one of those places that has the potential to be VERY special, but we found it to be a downer the day we were there. Lots of kids doing cannon balls off the rocks and such.

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 05:01 PM
gyppielou

bquarre says a lot

I have been to Olivine, Queens, 7 Pools, Blue Pool and Venice Pool,,, I think they're all great, it's all in the timing!

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:12 PM

HI. We are going in Feb 04, and I'm just starting my research. What would be good timing to visit these pools?
Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 09:11 AM
bquarre

For Queen's Bath: As you will be there in the winter the surf may be up so be very careful before venturing down the trail (mud) and onto the rocky shoreline. It could be dangerous. If I ever go back there again it would be very early in the morning, before school lets out ot after the schools start and during the week.

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 02:22 PM

I've been to Queen's Bath many years ago, and I agree it can be crowded, but I thought it was beautiful and totally worth it. FYI, the "path" is virtually impossible to locate. Ask someone directions. My sister and I were convinced we were lost the entire hike (I agree, it's about 15 min.) but then finally spotted people all surrounding something...the bath! Have fun!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 10:45 PM

We've only been to the Olivine Pools, and we loved them. They're not sparkling green like the book says, but they are way cool. You hike up this dusty rocky hill and you reach a point just above the shore where you can see all the pools laid out below you and it looks so awesome you just want to race down. Dozens of pools of different sizes and depths fill the lava shelf...funky fish and crabs in them, and even a few colorful reef fish that got washed in. We didn't find the pools closest to the exploding ocean murky at all, the ocean kept filling them up; but yes, I'd agree that the ones farther away were pretty murky, they don't get filled as often, but there were several people in that big, clear, deep pool. There's a blowhole there too...the irregular explosions are crazy and you can hear it breathing and wheezing the whole time. The ocean crashes wildly (and yes, it will be dangerous, IF you're standing up on the peak where it crashes over; most people had the sense not too but we saw a few that looked a little too close for comfort--you'll be able to tell where, just be careful, if you're in or around the edge of the pool, it's fine) behind the biggest pool and every five minutes or so a huge wave will crash over the rocks, spraying the crowd and filling the big pool--deep enough to jump in from above. And that churning ocean! It's beautifully blue and almost surreally aqua at that jagged spot of coastline, and just wild with shockingly white foam. The place is pretty sprawling, so although there were quite a few people we were able to eat our lunch alone with our feet in a deep round well with the ocean spray on our faces and little fishies at our ankles. There's also brief, tamer waterfalls you can stand under too, where the ocean doesn't come in nearly as hard. The lava formations are great, and I totally dig the picture of me sitting in the throne of lava. It's a really fun place to explore, the whole thing is like God's waterpark.

love
roxy
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 05:46 PM
gyppielou

roxy -- you kill me! soon, very very soon, I will return to the pools, as well as try your snorkling trip, heavenly hana, napali coast, many other pools and triking!!!! I think it's something right up your alley, check out birdsinparadise.com! Chow Aloha