Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   quarentine honolulu: what happens to my belongings ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/quarentine-honolulu-what-happens-to-my-belongings-1678852/)

qmuddy2 Mar 21st, 2020 11:32 AM

quarentine honolulu: what happens to my belongings ?

what happens to my carry on belongings if I fly to Honolulu in 2 weeks ? thanks

Gretchen Mar 21st, 2020 11:38 AM

Anyone have ANY doubts now?

J62 Mar 21st, 2020 02:30 PM

The Amtrak westbound Polynesian Express #9 is running about 1 to 1.5 hours behind schedule this morning but still running. It will arrive in Honolulu about 9:30AM. If you have to get to Hawaii the train may be your only option.

janisj Mar 21st, 2020 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 17082340)
Anyone have ANY doubts now?

No . . . but we'e being 'mean' . . . >)

thursdaysd Mar 21st, 2020 03:28 PM

Nice J62, but maybe not quite. According to this - https://thepointsguy.com/news/april-...ited-airlines/ - you could fly Delta LAX or SEA to Tokyo and then back to Hawaii. But I don't know how the Japanese are handling transit these days.

tomfuller Mar 21st, 2020 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by J62 (Post 17082393)
The Amtrak westbound Polynesian Express #9 is running about 1 to 1.5 hours behind schedule this morning but still running. It will arrive in Honolulu about 9:30AM. If you have to get to Hawaii the train may be your only option.

Really? On our trip to Hawaii, we did include a short stretch of Amtrak. We parked at Albany OR (free) and took an Amtrak Cascades train to Portland Union station and walked from there to a light rail station. We took the red line out to PDX. We had time to eat at Ken & Zukes Deli airport location before we left for Maui (OGG).
There are lots worse places to be homeless than Hawaii.
In other Amtrak news, the northbound Coast Starlight arrived in Klamath Falls Oregon at 10:03 this morning with a lot of people who just escaped from California. I'm hoping that none of the passengers or crew is sick with anything contagious. I'm glad the Governor didn't try to prevent the train from leaving Sacramento at midnight last night. As I said in the Amtrak Unlimited site: "Welcome to the Hotel California" You can check out any time you like but you can never leave.

Songdoc Mar 21st, 2020 08:23 PM

The message from the governor is crystal clear: DO NOT COME.

From today's newspaper:In the state’s toughest measure yet in combating the coronavirus, Gov. David Ige today ordered residents and visitors returning to Hawaii to undergo a 14-day quarantine starting Thursday.

“We need to come together as a community to fight this virus,” Ige said at a news conference in the state Capitol this afternoon. “We want this action to send the message to visitors and residents alike that we appreciate their love for Hawaii but we are asking them to postpone their visit.” ... Violation of the quarantine will be a misdemeanor and subject to a possible $5,000 fine and/or jail time. The quarantine mandate will continue indefinitely, and Ige said visitors are responsible for quarantine costs.

“We don’t want travelers in our community at this point in time,” Ige said.

Today, there were demonstrations on all the islands. Protestors are carrying signs telling tourists to go home and are not allowing non-locals to travel on many of the roads. On Kauai's North Shore the protestors forced tourists to turn back.
To answer your question, during the 14-day quarantine I assume you would keep your luggage with you. Now, answer my question ... why you would want to come under these circumstances, knowing that you will essentially be locked in a hotel room for a MINIMUM of two weeks.

Dewd Mar 21st, 2020 08:51 PM

Your Stuff

Originally Posted by qmuddy2 (Post 17082337)
what happens to my carry on belongings if I fly to Honolulu in 2 weeks ? thanks

You will be responsible for your own belongings.
You will be responsible for getting from the airport to your hotel (good luck with that).
You must stay in your hotel room for 14 days.

BEST ADVICE: DON'T GO TO HAWAII!

Dewd Mar 21st, 2020 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd (Post 17082414)
Nice J62, but maybe not quite. According to this - https://thepointsguy.com/news/april-...ited-airlines/ - you could fly Delta LAX or SEA to Tokyo and then back to Hawaii.

Nope. The Quarantine applies to ALL flights to Hawaii.

Gretchen Mar 22nd, 2020 02:49 AM

Feed the troll.

thursdaysd Mar 22nd, 2020 05:45 AM

@Dewd - I was talking about how to get there, not about the quarantine.

Still, the advice is the same. Stay home!

janisj Mar 22nd, 2020 10:23 AM

Let's maybe quit replying to this guy?? He has started 4 threads - not responding to any of them - asking about traveling to HI, and having the situation explained to him on all 4 threads. We don't have to worry since he likely won't be able to get on a plane anyway . . .

suze Mar 23rd, 2020 11:50 AM

Can't people keep their belongs with them? As long as they go directly to a hotel and quarantine themselves for 2 weeks there?

Obviously this is to try to get people (visitors, tourists, guests) to stop flying in. But allowing residents to have a chance to return home to their island.