Yosemite/Sierra/Sequoia at Thanksgiving

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

East coast family looking for a place to spend 4 days over Thanksgiving somewhere that is driving distance from LA. One son lives in LA, other son and DIL live East and have very few days off as medical residents. Thinking of renting a house from Wed-Sun somewhere where we can explore, do some light hiking. I have only been to Yosemite once, in the summer, but it seems too far from LA to make the trip worth while. What is there to do/see in the other parks? Would there be a good area in which to stay where we might find some restaurants, etc? (Don't need a lot, just an alternative to cooking all meals at home.) Also, what is the weather likely to be at that time of year? I know there will be snow at elevation, but how about driving? I also know it could be a blizzard or 60 degrees! Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 03:39 AM
J62

I spent part of Thanksgiving week at Yosemite a few years ago and it was by far one of the best visits there I've had. It felt like I had the park essentially all to my self which was amazing given the crowds other times of the year I've been. I did a long hike one day and think I ran into a total of 3 or 4 people the entire full day hike, until I neared the end coming down by Nevada Falls. You are correct, there was snow at elevation, so roads to Tioga Pass and Glacier Point were closed. The only way to get to Glacier Point was on foot - and I would not characterize that a "light" hiking.

Overnight temps were in the 20's so there was a frost covering the valley floor every morning. Daytime highs were in the 50's - perfect weather for me. As for driving, you are also correct. If the temps are in the 60's, then driving will be fine. If there is a blizzard, then driving won't be so good. Daylight hours are much shorter so you have to factor that into your outdoor plans as well.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 08:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
For Yosemite, the east coast contingent could fly in to SFO (or OAK or SMF or SJC) and the LA folks could drive up. It will be a long drive for them depending from which part of the vast LA area they are starting. From say the San Fernando Valley it will take about 6 hours.

Other options would be to rent a house on the coast -- San Diego area, Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach, Monterey Bay area. OR someplace like Palm Springs.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the input. We've discussed some of the coastal options but the fam isn't too excited. I'll have to start looking at info on Sierra and Sequoa if I don't get responses.
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 09:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yosemite would always be my first choice at that time of year. >>Would there be a good area in which to stay where we might find some restaurants, etc?
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 09:26 AM

Nice time of year for Joshua Tree and Palm Springs... lots of good hiking (and restaurants and rental houses).

Mammoth can be downright freezing overnight in November. And full of skiers, so also expensive.

Both are a popular getaways for LA locals as well as tourists so don't wait too long to book.

Your east coasters might be able to fly into PSP or ONT