Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Public Transportation from Chicago to the First Midwest Bank Amp (tweeter center)

Public Transportation from Chicago to the First Midwest Bank Amp (tweeter center)

Aug 12th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Public Transportation from Chicago to the First Midwest Bank Amp (tweeter center)

My husband and I will be in chicago for the first time next weekend. We are going to the Counting crows concert at the Tweeter center on Friday, Aug 22nd and I just realized it is a tough place to get to. Is there any way to get there with public transportation? We are staying at the Hyatt Regency, which is located at 151 East wacker drive in Chicago.

Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks!
Aug 12th, 2008, 08:38 AM

You'll probably want to rent a car for this trip.
Aug 12th, 2008, 08:39 AM

I've never been down there, so I'm just going via hopstop.com. Looks like too much of a pain -- for me at least -- to get there via Metra.
Aug 12th, 2008, 09:00 AM

When you called or emailed your hotel, what did they recommendd?

Curious
Aug 12th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I called the hotel and the concierge told me that we could take the train out there. He said it would let us out right at concert hall. Is this true?
Aug 12th, 2008, 10:51 AM

I've never been either, but the Tinley Park Metra station appears to be about a mile NE of First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre. It sounds like the concierge is thinking of Ravinia which is north of the city.

For Tweeter/FM, you'd probably take the Rock Island Line from LaSalle Street Station.

But checking the schedule (http://metrarail.com/Sched/ri/ri.shtml), the last train back to the Chicago leaves Tinley Park at 10:49 pm. Would that give you enough time to see the whole concert and make it back to the train?

You may want to call the venue to see how easy it would be to catch a cab back to the train station.

Your other option may be to take the Metra Electric train from Millennium Station to Homewood or Flossmoor. Either is about five miles east of the venue. The last Metra Electric train from Homewood would be at 11:54 pm. Millennium Station is about 4 blocks south of your hotel on Michigan. The Metra Electric schedule is at http://metrarail.com/Sched/me/me.shtml
Aug 12th, 2008, 03:27 PM

I would NOT take the train...the Tweeter Center is nowhere near public transportation and I would not count on cabs in that area. I would suggest renting a car for the evening...it's just a safer bet for getting there and back from the hotel. If you have the money you could also rent a limo for the night and have them drive you...
Aug 13th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great options! I really appreciate your help!
Aug 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

The train seems like an easy option. I just got in touch with a great cab company too that is available 24/7. They pick up from the Homewood train station and will also be waiting at the arena after the show. The owner's name is Al and the number is (708) 755-1290...if anyone is reading this and wants information.

Thanks again for your help!

Search this Thread