Naples Florida

Old Mar 30th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples Florida

Considering a move in retirement from LA, California to Naples Florida. My wife is a CA native and is worried about hurricanes and the cost of hurricane insurance. Also the cost of electricity ( we live near the ocean here and don't need AC). We are thinking of a modest 2-3 bedroom home in a golfing community. Any comments on expected costs or recommendations on where to look in the community is appreciated.
David
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 10:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is someone on this board who lived in Naples for years so hopefully they will see this.

I live in southeast Florida (Fort Lauderdale) and depending on what your living situation is (i.e., single family home vs. high rise condo, etc.) yes, wind insurance can be expensive.

Also auto insurance just as it is where you live now is not cheap and I assume you are aware of the property tax rates in Florida.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 10:22 AM

Hi, davidling. I suspect I'm the one Dukey referred to. I have lived in Naples full time since 1976, when it was just a "village".
I have known few Californians who adapted well to Florida, but I suppose it can be done.
Your best bet is to find a good realtor (I'd be happy to recommend someone) who can show you the areas. A assume you've been to Naples, but you need to be there to make any real decisions. There are many good deals right now in the many golfing communities -- partially due to foreclosures. The bottom line is how much you want to spend will help determine where to look -- location is everything in Naples -- well, not EVERYTHING, but major.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks NeoPatrick, I lived in FL (Key West) while in the Navy. We are coming to look around this summer so we can see it in the rainy season and get the feel of the community. You mention location is everything...same is true out here. We are looking in the $200k - $300k realm. I play golf 3 times/wk so that is important. But we are thinking of bringing others with us who don't golf and would want them close by. What area do you suggest? I am thinking of staying in the area for consideration when we visit this summer. And I would be open to a realtor.

Is location important when it comes to cost for insurance and utilities too? I have heard recent construction codes will impact cost of insurance.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:12 PM

Yes to location affecting insurance, particularly flood insurance. Yes also to recent codes being met to also affect it. These are two of the reasons you really need to work with a professional.

I'm a little confused about bringing others with you. Do you mean for a week or two this summer while you are looking? If so you might want to rent a condo in a golfing community for a month -- is that too long? They are easily available during the summer.

I'm currently up in New Jersey, but still have my townhouse in Naples (currently rented for the season) -- but I'm a downtown (Old Naples) kinda guy --not in a golfing community.

If you like, you might email me. I'm patash2 at the yahoo place. I could recommend someone who can answer current questions a lot better than I can. But you are smart to think of coming down in the summer -- the least attractive time of the year -- to check it all out.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:33 PM

As for golf communities with homes/condos in the 200-300K price range, you should consider Naples Lakes, Cedar Hammock, Heritage Bay and TPC Treviso, all of which are located in East Naples, approximately 15-20 minutes from Old Naples. Be careful when selecting a development that includes golf in the purchase of a home because there are places with too many members and getting a tee-time can be a challenge.

FYI, my home is approximately 3500 sq ft and we pay around $4000/year for insurance. There is a 25K hurricane deductible attached to the policy, so if we ever had a direct hit, I'm out a ton of money. That being said, the West coast of FL is less likely to have a direct hit by a major hurricane. When Charley hit about 30 miles north of us, we had trees down and some roof damage but nothing major however, some of our neighbors had significant damage so you just never know. We were recently required to obtain flood insurance due to new FEMA maps and it costs around $350/yr.

Electricity is expensive, our bill in the summer is over $250 per month but last month our bill was $68 due to no A/C or heat needed. Water is expensive, can run $150/month in the dry season, but then drops way back in the summer rainy season when you don't have to run sprinklers.

Gas and food are less here than in LA, but still higher than other places in the country. I think gas is around $3.85/gallon right now.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mollmatt, that is very helpful. May I ask if your 3500 sq ft home meets the latest building codes? I understand that can make a difference.

The cost of utilities is similar to here (winter season we need heat). Gas prices here are about $4.15/gal.

Great advice about checking out golf course usage and ability to get tee times. Question on East Naples vs North Naples ....is the desirability simply based on closeness to the beach? Or is there climate differences? FYI in CA our temperature rises for every mile or so you go inland.

Thanks for info!
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 05:20 PM

1000 sq ft (an addition in 2006) is "miami-dade" compliant, which means hurricane shutters were required but the rest of the house does not have shutters. Original house was built in 1996.

You probably won't find good golf course communities in North Naples in your price range. My recommendations on the previous golf course communities were based on home prices and quality of the course. In North Naples, you are looking at a least 400K min and up although there are places in Bonita Springs in your price range which is North of Naples but there again, the problem of cheaper prices leads to over-crowded golf courses. What level of golfer are you? Do you want to be with a competitive men's game or do you just play for fun? Memberships vary alot, some are filled with golfers, some are filled with duffers. It depends on what kind of game you want.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 05:25 PM

regarding the climate question, in your price range, you won't be near the beach where the temps can be a bit cooler, but not much. It's hot and very humid here from May until Nov no matter where you live. That will be the biggest adjustment moving here from CA. It's really different.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:24 PM

My realtor friend, Heather Zurlo, lives in a golfing community, The Glades, east of Naples. Her site is SoNaples.com
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 02:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, we don't know where IN California the OP lives so the humidity may not be as much of an issue as one might think.

Your wind insurance rates will be based on several factors including whether or not your home has shutters or high impact glass. And in terms of flood insurance, proximity to the beach makes a major difference and don't forget there is only so much FEMA-underwritten/backed insurance you can get.

Also, some of the utility costs in C alifornia are even higher than they are in parts of Florida; when I lived in San Diego, for example, I paid MUCH higher rates for electricity than I do now in Fort Lauderdale.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 05:08 AM

David, it suddenly occurred to me, I'm unclear if you are looking for an actual house -- or a villa/attached villa -- or even a condo. Those three divisions can mean huge differences in price, regardless of where you are.

The "desireableness" of the northern golfing communities as opposed to the eastern ones is frankly -- well typical snobbiness for one thing. While some of the ones to the east are really quite nice, some would be put off my their proximity to mobile home and RV resorts, or general "redneck" businesses and atmosphere. (Sorry to offend anyone, just explaining it 'like it is').

And regarding flood insurance requirements, there is often no rhyme or reason to them. I own one condo for rental that is quite far north and sits VERY high. Yet it requires flood insurance while many places much lower and closer to the Gulf do not. I've never understood who decides those flood zones.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Mollmatt, currently play Los Verdes what we call the Torrey Pines of Los Angeles County. It is a County course that is the most played in So Cal and we take turns getting up at 3 am to put our name on a list and sleep in our car. I guess I would be called a duffer who plays in the eighties and enjoys being out where it is peaceful, with some buddies who you can compete with and rib each other. Enyoy competition in mens club too.

Dukey1 you are right on about cost of electricity cost in So Cal and it is getting worse. All comments you and others have made is helping me understand the insurance puzzle and I am getting to understand you when you say each property will be different.

NeoPatrick, yes I am not looking for an individual home and really like what I see in the attached villa properties. All the suggestions about different golfing communities is proving very helpful. Thanks to all