public High Schools in Brooklyn

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be relocating to NYC for job. Can anyone tell me what neighborhood Abraham Lincoln High School is in..the zip is 11235. I am trying to research apts but nothing comes up in that zip code. Any other info on good public high schools would be great. I am an RN and will be at one of the local hospitals. [email protected]
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 01:31 PM

Go to google and type in Abraham Lincoln High School Brooklyn NY - you will get tons of info. There will also be many websites that have educational stats that would help you.

PS - according to Wikipedia, that is the high school that the gang all attened on "Friends" and has a long, impressive list of graduates.

Ocean Pwy and West Ave.

Good luck.
Deb
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 02:14 PM

Denise, I am a former Brooklynite and I am curious where are you currently living? When are you planning on moving to Brooklyn?
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 02:15 PM

I went to HS in Bklyn and raised two kids in Manhattan who went to very good public schools. I don't think that students go to 'neighborhood' high schools as was the case when I went to school. You apply to schools - obviously the ones that are the best. Also, there are several public high schools that have admission by exam only. DS1 went to Bronx Science even though we live in Manhattan. It is common for HS students to travel to school. Having said that, I am not sure how good Lincoln is today. It was a very good school years ago, but things change. The HS that I attended is one of the worst in the city today. What grade is your child in now?

I have a friend who works in a HS and I will ask her to check with her admin to find out how Lincoln is. And Lincoln is near Brighton Beach and near Coney Island and near Sheepshead Bay. It's funny that after growing up near there, I'm not exactly sure what the neighborhood is called.

I will get back with more info.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 02:24 PM

A good website for NYC public high school info is http://insideschools.org/.

Brooklyn Tech is one of NYC's specialized science high schools. A test is necessary to get in. In general NYC no longer has zoned 'neighborhood' high schools. You can apply to (I think) up to 12 schools and prioritize your choices. Some schools have their own critieria including interviews and/or tests. The specialized science schools are separate from this process and base admissions on a standardized test. This test is given in the fall, but I think for students just moving to NYC, there is another sitting in August. You can only enter the specialized school for 9th and 10th grade.

Students living in one borough do not necessarily go to high school in their neighborhood or even their borough. Many kids commute (I have one of those kids!).
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for posting and keep the info coming...originally from PA and now living in Raleigh, NC. I know..Raleigh is a great city and I would be crazy to leave?? But, I can't explain it but I have always been drawn to NYC. Like any city it has it's good and bad, but I think it could be a great experience for me and my son. He has wanted to move to a big city for awhile and we have been talking about NYC for about 6 months. We would not move until next summer. As an RN, I will have no trouble finding a job. If I come as a travel nurse, they will also provide housing or give me a subsidy if I find my own. Which is what I would most likely do.

It is all so overwhelming though..which area of the city to chose, schools etc. Ideally, I want to be in an area that I can take advantage of public transportation, be close to the hospital, school, museums etc. Mnahattan would be ideal but I just don't know enough at this point to make an educated choice...so, I am hoping you guys can help me out. My son will be 15 when we make the move. He is a good kid, very athletic and I think he would do well in the city. We have visited several times and both love it!

My email is [email protected] if anyone wants to email any info that they think will be helpful. Open to any and all suggestions!
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 02:39 PM

ALso check out the board of ed website for school stats http://schools.nyc.gov/default.aspx

There are some very good high schools in Manhattan that are a reasonable commute from Brooklyn. In the financial district there's Millenium high school, in the lower east side there's Bard Early College and Nest+M, and in the E 20th there's Baruch. I am not familiar with high schools in Brooklyn except Brooklyn Tech. We live in lower Manhattan and my sons goes to Bronx Science as well (as centralparkdirl's DS1).

The board of ed also publishes a directory every year of all the high schools.

So will your son be entereing 10th grade?
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks for all the info! Yes, my son would be entering NYC schools as a sophmore. Now, how about apt rentals. I know space is at a premium and we don't need anything more than 2 bedroom. Would love something in a great building, with character and charm but, being realistic. Under 3K a month is what I am aiming for. I have contacted some realtors to give me a little info on broker fees if go that route..also have been looking on CL to get a general idea. What could I get in Manhattan for that amt? Also looking at Brooklyn Heights...if we are not in the city, then we want to be within a 20-30 min subway ride away. Any areas to AVOID...

Thanks again! You guys are so great!
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 03:02 PM

NYC, being an especially large city, has an especially complex and arcane system of school assignments for highschoolers. Apparently there are some neighborhood -based positions ("Zoned"), but entering in 10th grade means that most of the other assignments have been given out.

http://schools.nyc.gov/ChoicesEnroll...ns/Methods.htm

If you look at Lincoln High's grade-based assignments, you can see that there are some slots open for sophomores. Check out these charts on "Program seats" vs "Total Applicants":

http://schools.nyc.gov/ChoicesEnroll...hool/?sid=1075

Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:47 PM

I suggest you have a look at the NYTimes web site real estate section to get some perspective on real estate prices in NYC.

There are quite a few listings in Manhattan for 2 bedrooms for $3000 and under - but many are "convertible" 2 bedrooms (the second bedroom is really the dining area and you need to put up a screen or something) or the apartments may have other issues (tiny rooms, weird layouts or bad neighborhoods).

An hour or two spent looking here will give you a better idea of what questions you need to ask before spending any time looking at an apartment:

Is it a fifth floor walk-up?
Is there any staff (super? janitor?) on the premises?
How large are the rooms (exact dimensions - some "bedrooms are about a foot bigger than the bed)
What type of security does the building have?

Separately, besides, first month, last month and security, fees are typically more than a month's rent. And they will require that you show employment with annual income more than 20 times the monthly rent.

Doing some work now will help you pick out some likely neighborhoods based on you place of work (you don;t want a 3 hour daily commute). The real estate section also provides info on some more up and coming neighborhoods where you can get more for your money - like Inwood or Astoria.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 05:02 PM

I went to Lincoln. The district includes Coney Island and Brighton Beach.

It is on Ocean Parkway and the Belt Parkway.

Please check graduation statistics and reading and math scores. I believe the school is not highly ranked.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

After doing some quick research of things you mentioned, it looks like we will do better outside the city in Brooklyn, since schools are not zoned, I will check out the website suggested for schools that meet our needs. What about Queens? Which area is the shortest commute to the city? I hope to be at one of the bigger hospitals in the city..NYU, St. Vincents..

One quick email to a realtor in brooklyn heights and I found that their fee is 13% of annual rent..ouch! Not something we are used to here in NC. But, it will nt deter me. Just need to plan ahead. If it were only me a studio would be great, but need 2 bedrooms that are seperate from rest of living space.

Someone also mentioned that the hospitals often provide subsidy for housing. Any other nurses out there please let me know if this is true if you are an employee of the hospital or only if you are a traveler?

Keep the great info coming!
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 05:36 PM
J62

Brooklyn and Queens are all part of the same city - NYC.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 05:37 PM

I'd suggest Hunter College HS as one of the best and in Manhattan, and most of the well known hospitals are in Manhattan as well, so you would probably want to look here first.

Columbia Pres
NYU Hospital
Sloan Kettering
Mount Sinai
St. Lukes
Roosevelt
Beth Israel

to name a few.

Also if you have a speciality you might want to look at some of the speciality hospitals in the city.

All that said, nurses are needed in the city, so you should not have a problem finding a postion you would like.

Id suggest coming up to the city for a long weekend and looking around to see what areas of the city feel most comfortable. An area you might want to look at is from 14th ST to 34th on the east side, as there are several hosptitals in the immeidate area, and you would be able to walk to work, and there is an excellent HS on Irving Place and 18th St.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 05:38 PM

I would secure employment first before staking out a neihborhood. If yoy get a job in the Bronx or Queens you do not want to live in Brooklyn, the commute will be very long.

Brooklyn Heights is one of the nicest areas in the City but it is as expensive as Manhattan.

One of the best high schools in Brooklyn that does not require an entrance exam is Madison.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:35 PM

<< I'd suggest Hunter College HS as one of the best and in Manhattan >>

It is, but unfortunately, admission is in the 7th grade and after an exam by invitation only given the previous year (DS2 is an alum). Entering as a soph, you will need to look at regular admission schools.

Add to the list of Manhattan hospitals:
Lenox Hill Hospital
Hospital for Special Surgery
Hospital for Joint Diseases

denisern - before you cross living in Manhattan off your list, check out the Upper East Side. Real estate is strange. As downtown areas have gotten gentrified and very hot, some of the prices here have become more reasonable (not brand new condos though). I know quite a few young people on the UES who can't afford to live downtown. I've lived here for years and it's a very safe area and a few minutes walk to four hospitals and near the subway. There's also a new small HS on 76th St. And I agree with nytraveler that you need to know where you will be working before finding an apartment so that your travel time is kept to a minimum.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM

You really, really need to understand what your options might be for high schools. You can't consider Hunter College HS; they only admit kids in 7th grade, and are specifically for gifted kids who have achieved high scores in state exams. Options for a kid arriving during the summer before 10th grade, in other words after everybody else has already gotten their assignments for fall, might be slim pickin's.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM

I meant nytraveler and aduchamp1.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM

LOL, Centralparkgirl beat me to it! That's what I get for multitasking, trying to watch TV and post at the same time.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 06:58 PM

anonymous, but our great minds think alike!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -