Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Pt. Reyes or Mt. Tam for hiking/biking? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/pt-reyes-or-mt-tam-for-hiking-biking-242360/)

Stacy Jul 23rd, 2002 06:20 AM

Pt. Reyes or Mt. Tam for hiking/biking?

We are heading to the San Fran area next week and would like to take a couple of days up in Marin County to do some hiking and mountain biking. We are looking to stay in a nice inn or B&B with amenities and beautiful surroundings. Would you recommend we stay in the Point Reyes area (e.g., Inverness) or near Mt. Tam (e.g., Mill Valley)? Any recommendations on nice inns or B&Bs in these areas? Also, what do you think are the best hikes and bike rides in Marin County? We are looking for very challenging routes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!<BR><BR>Stacy

lizbeth Jul 23rd, 2002 11:39 AM

Stacy,<BR>I would overnight in the Point Reyes area. Mill Valley is pretty but is practically in SF's backyard - you won't feel "far away" at all. Do a search on Yahoo for lodging in Inverness, Point Reyes Station, Olema and Tomales - you'll come up with a lot of B&B type places. I was just in the Pt. Reyes area over the weekend and saw vacancies available - maybe it's the stock market jitters, but it's rare for this area to not be full-up on summer weekends. I would call ahead and reserve to anyplace that you pick, though. I'm not a biker myself, but I've seen people enjoying their rides all over the Pt. Reyes roads. Check in at the visitor station at Bear Valley first for maps and advice.<BR>Mt. Tam also has roads with incredible views - take note that Tam really is a mountain, not a hill, so if you fly downhill be prepared to grunt back up! Since Mt. Tam and Mill Valley are so close to S.F., perhaps you should plan on visiting on your way to or from the Pt. Reyes area. Have fun!

Danna Jul 23rd, 2002 12:15 PM

Have you checked out trails you plan to bike? I am under the impression that most or all of the singletrack on Mt. Tam had been closed to bikes because the rich and powerful Sierra club hates us so.<BR><BR>I would love to hear that I am mistaken, since Mt. Tam was one of the birth-places of the sport. Will be interested to read your trip report when you get back!<BR>

Susan Jul 23rd, 2002 12:39 PM

Seond vote for Point Reyes, which has some very good hiking. I would also suggest that you do a web search for biking trails, as I recall there are some quite long rides that start near Olema along the ridge tops to Bolinas and back. West Marin is very beautiful and Point Reyes is a wonderful part of it.

kam Jul 23rd, 2002 02:50 PM

Another vote for pt. Reyes. Although I'm not a biker, I'm sure there are wonderful places to explore. Look at the 10 Inverness Way for an inn or Manka's.

seamus Jul 23rd, 2002 04:53 PM

Mill Valley/Kentfield is where my friends who live in Marin live. It's too suburban to really be a touring destination. I agree to focus on Pt.Reyes for a vacation. Maybe even Bodega Bay.

L Jul 23rd, 2002 07:58 PM

Bodega Bay is cold and windy. Point Reyes is far enough. Not much to see in Bodega Bay. More in Point Reyes, unless you like party boats and fishing.

Stacy Jul 24th, 2002 09:59 AM

How about Point Reyes vs. Big Sur for hiking and biking?

seamus Jul 24th, 2002 07:24 PM

Stacy, now you're changing the rules. Nothing is better than Big Sur for scenery and hiking. The Sonoma coast is lovely but Big Sur Rules!