Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Pssst, want a really cheap fare to Maui or Oahu, even from the east coast? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/pssst-want-a-really-cheap-fare-to-maui-or-oahu-even-from-the-east-coast-134201/)

nina Jan 3rd, 2002 06:06 AM

Pssst, want a really cheap fare to Maui or Oahu, even from the east coast?

Here's a belated Christmas gift for all you Hawaii freaks. Flights from 80 US cities to Oahu and Maui even NY and Hartford, are 331.20 plus tax til March 13th (it came to $362 from NY). We considered going there instead of the caribbean but decided that unless the flights were free we wouldn't endure the 11 hours with kids. So all you childless or brave travelers, check it out, you only have another 24 hours to book it. Merry Christmas!

Sarah Jan 3rd, 2002 06:17 AM

Don't understand who you book the flight through and you will soon be one of us freaks!!!! Dalink!!!

nina Jan 3rd, 2002 06:20 AM

Any air website will do. I used Travelocity but Expedia, Lowestfare or Bestfare will all work too. With Travelocity you don't put in specific dates, just do a search on lowest fares and it will display the available dates that you can choose from.

sss Jan 3rd, 2002 06:23 AM

ahhhh I just found EVERYBODY REMEMBER WINTER IS WHALE SEASON ON MAUI. If you have ever been it makes a special place magical to see breaching up out of the water!!! You also have less tourist so you don't have to think about crowds.

Jeff Jan 3rd, 2002 09:28 AM

Thanks. I found some similar fares at Travelocity on Continental and Northwest with only one-stop and changeover but there was no indication that they expired in 24 hrs. It was just 7 or 14 day-advance purchase and travel had to be completed by this coming March 14th. <BR><BR>

nina Jan 3rd, 2002 09:36 AM

According to Bestfares this is one of those 3 day specials. I've seen this before, they offer a dirt cheap fare but for just a few days.

Gordon Jan 3rd, 2002 09:56 AM

I bit. Since I am a Best Fares member, I logged on and found your fare. Now, the wife, kids and I will be heading for warmer, dryer surrounds, than the current snow chilled Maryland weather...but next ? where to stay...kids are 6 and 9, looking for a condo type arrangement.<BR>any replies would be helpful. Our first Maui trip!<BR>Thx. Gordon

lisa Jan 3rd, 2002 10:11 AM

American has matched Delta's fares. $331.20 roundtrip out of Washington DC or Charlotte to Maui.

bj Jan 3rd, 2002 11:03 AM

This is the best tip yet!! I checked and ended up booking Milwaukee to HON for $345 RT. Was not really planning this but simply cannot beat the price. Thanks for the heads up!

Sarah Jan 3rd, 2002 11:12 AM

Gordon I would get a beach front condo on Maui this is whale season and Maui seems to be the spot for this. <BR><BR>I go to Kauai each year in summer and stayed here just last summer. Condo rates should be down, we got our condo through this link ( cut and paste from other post I made)[email protected]<BR><BR>It was a beautiful home half a block from hanalei bay. Might be wet in Winter on North Shore Kauai but you have those 30-50 foot waves and whales!!! She was offering 15% discount to return customers and friends so I would inquire. Our place lodged up to six people with 3 bedrooms and with discount was $950, smaller downstairs was $850. Also these were summer rates maybe they are different in Winter. Have fun where ever you lodge. <BR><BR>Other places to check for condos are www.vacationspot.com vacationhost.com<BR>want to look at the waves on the North Shore Oahu www.surfinglive.com<BR>good luck and let us know how you make out. <BR>

xxx Jan 3rd, 2002 01:49 PM

308 round trip Newark to Honolulu on Continental if you book through continental website.

James Jan 3rd, 2002 02:41 PM

what airline?

RMC Jan 3rd, 2002 02:50 PM

All I have to say is WOW!!!<BR><BR>I booked tix for Hawaii for this May at a rate of $575 and thought I was getting a great deal! This is AMAZING!<BR><BR>I live in Boston and just checked the rates on Orbitz and it's $303!!!!! My God the flight is cheaper than our hotel for one night!<BR> <BR>So far I've seen this rate on almost every airline. Good luck and Aloha to those who can go. I'm jealous!!!

Andrea Jan 5th, 2002 12:05 PM

Check out Grand Champions Villas in Wailea Maui for a great condo. Not beachfront but some units are on golf course and have ocean view. The price versus a beachfront is well worth not being beachfront. Check web for owner rentals.

rhonda Jan 5th, 2002 12:06 PM

Better than that--orbitz.com has $304.54 including taxes. I just booked for Feb.

ritu Jan 23rd, 2002 12:56 PM

$330 is one way or round trip fair?

x Jan 23rd, 2002 01:00 PM

Round trip, but these are probably all gone by now. go to Orbitz and see if there are any left. The sale is good for travel until March 14th.

sss Jan 23rd, 2002 01:00 PM

Rita That was round trip Rita but I think that fare is gone check date of post.

john Jan 24th, 2002 06:17 AM

Thanks to someone posting this rate over on the European board I was able to book tickets for 3 out of Madison (Northwest Airlines) and 1 out of Birmingham (Continental). Ticket price averaged $350 (with all taxes). Considering the cheapest I had found previous to this was in the $700 range - WHAT A DEAL!!!<BR><BR>Looking forward to my first trip to Hawaii - 35 DAYS AND COUNTING!!!

nina Jan 24th, 2002 06:31 AM

You're welcome, John. It's nice that sometimes people appreciate your help! Have a great trip.