Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Providence to Newport - how long? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/providence-to-newport-how-long-181979/)

Elle Aug 28th, 2001 04:50 PM

Providence to Newport - how long?

How long is the drive (time and distance) from Providence, RI (airport) to Newport, RI? Any interesting places (great restaurants, quaint towns, awesome views, nice place for a picnic or hike) to visit along the way? I will be there in late september/early october and have never been to the area. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Jim Aug 28th, 2001 05:52 PM

I hate the tone of fodors lately i.e. the negativity. But when I read e-mails like this, I somewhat understand. So, for testing sake, I saw if I could answer the first question in under 1 minute by mapquest. Guess what---45 seconds. <BR> <BR>Take the I-195 W/US-6 W ramp. 0.2 miles ( 0.3 km) <BR> <BR>5: Merge onto I-195 W. 0.2 miles ( 0.2 km) <BR> <BR>6: Take the I-95 S exit on the left towards NEW YORK. 0.4 miles ( 0.6 km) <BR> <BR>7: Merge onto I-95 S. 11.8 miles ( 18.9 km) <BR> <BR>8: Take the exit, exit number 9, on the left towards NEWPORT/S. COUNTY. 0.1 miles ( 0.1 km) <BR> <BR>9: Merge onto RI-4 S. 9.8 miles ( 15.8 km) <BR> <BR>10: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto TOWER HILL RD. 0.7 miles ( 1.2 km) <BR> <BR>11: Take the RI-138 E ramp towards JAMESTOWN/NEWPORT/BRIDGES. 0.4 miles ( 0.6 km) <BR> <BR>12: Merge onto RI-138 E (Portions toll). 8.8 miles ( 14.2 km) <BR> <BR>13: Take the RI-238 S exit towards SCENIC NEWPORT. 0.1 miles ( 0.2 km) <BR> <BR>14: Turn RIGHT onto RI 138A/RI-238/JT CONNELL HWY. 0.1 miles ( 0.1 km) <BR> <BR>15: RI 138A/RI-238/JT CONNELL HWY becomes RI 138A/FAREWELL ST/RI-238. 0.3 miles ( 0.4 km) <BR> <BR>16: Stay straight to go onto FAREWELL ST. 0.1 miles ( 0.2 km) <BR> <BR>17: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto THAMES ST. 0.3 miles ( 0.4 km) <BR> <BR>18: Turn LEFT onto TOURO ST. 0.1 miles ( 0.2 km) <BR> <BR>19: Turn LEFT onto COURTHOUSE ST. 0.0 miles ( 0.1 km) <BR> <BR>20: Turn LEFT onto PARK PL. 0.0 miles ( 0.0 km) <BR> <BR> TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: TOTAL DISTANCE: <BR> 42 minutes 33.6 miles <BR>

rich Aug 28th, 2001 08:14 PM

There are two places you might want to visit between PVD airport and Newport. One is a quaint village called Wickford (in the town of North Kingstown), which has antique shops and a small harbor with fishing boats. The other is the island of Jamestown (which you must cross through en route to Newport anyway). There is a lighthouse on the rocky southern tip of the island which is a good place for a picnic. By the way, the directions supplied by Jim start in downtown Providence-- the airport is located in Warwick, which is to the south. So, your trip should be somewhat shorter than those directions would indicate. Have a good trip!

Larry Aug 29th, 2001 03:01 AM

Rich has it- both in the drive time (about 30 minutes depending on traffic) and places to stop. I would add that since it really isn't a long trip from Newport to Wickford and especially Jamestown it might make more sense to go directly from the airport to where you are staying in Newport, then make Jamestown/Wickford a day trip later on. You have picked, IMHO, the best time of year to visit Newport- enjoy your stay.

elle Aug 29th, 2001 03:19 PM

sorry Jim. I should have specified that I wanted to know if I should expect traffic driving between the airport and Newport around 5pm on a Friday. I'm used to the traffic jams we have here in LA where it takes 2 hours to go just 15 miles. Thanks for the advice.

KenCT Aug 29th, 2001 03:33 PM

This is a little off-topic, but MapQuest directions can really lead you astray, as can those in-vehicle navigation systems. <BR> <BR>On topic, the Inn at Castle Hill has has wonderful views and very good food. The walking path between the "cottages" and the ocean, called Cliffwalk, I believe, is not to be missed.

Calle Aug 29th, 2001 04:43 PM

I also distrust MapQuest -- when I put my own address in, they mapped it 2 blocks away and had one street connecting two others that is, in fact, discontinuous. I have had any number of "bloopers" and have learned to use it only as a supplement to other sources. <BR> <BR>As for Jim's impatience with the question: I would much rather get the information from a local, who can tell me from real experience (rather than MapQuest's algorithmic calculations) how long it takes and under what conditions. <BR>Friday 5 pm? Definitely expect delays.

Jim Aug 29th, 2001 05:39 PM

After reading some of the posts, I withdraw my comment (and apologize). I guess anyone can be in a bad mood.

Cathy Aug 29th, 2001 06:26 PM

You are picking a great time to visit. As someone else stated the airport is in Warwick and you will have a pretty easy drive to Newport(approx. 45 minutes). I would double check Map Quest as we have used it a few times and they do not send you on the easiest or most direct way. I would request directions from the place you are staying at in Newport I am sure they have them available. There will be traffic since it is Friday but nothing like LA traffic. It will be steady yet not a parking lot! You will really enjoy your visit. Maybe you can fit in dinner in Providence in the Federal Hill area. Also, the Wickford and Jamestown suggestions were good ones! <BR>good luck!

Elle Aug 31st, 2001 10:12 AM

Thanks everyone! One more question - how cold will it be (sweaters and jacket or heavy wool coat) and should I be prepared for rain?

Cathy Aug 31st, 2001 10:16 AM

It is New England so the weather can be unpredictable so I would pack sweaters or jackets to layer.It may also be cooler on the ocean. On the other hand It can be very warm in the fall- Indian Summer- and my kids are often still wearing shorts to school in October but to be safe pack layers! A Rain Coat would be a good idea. Enjoy!

Cali Aug 31st, 2001 10:30 AM

Mapquest is definitely not a sure thing. My brother-in-law was going from LAX to a hotel in Palm Springs and they mapped him to a hospital in Palm Springs. Also didn't even give him the most direct route to Riverside or Palm Springs. Check more than one source for directions!! Living in the L.a. Area, I also know that times really vary from what the mapping programs say depending on traffic, etc.

Cali Aug 31st, 2001 10:32 AM

Oooops, should have read my reply for errors. I should have said that they mapped him to a hospital in Riverside, Ca when he was going to a hotel in Palm Springs. Sorry about that!!