Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Providence's T. F. Green to Boston South Station (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/providences-t-f-green-to-boston-south-station-679842/)

gypsy Feb 14th, 2007 01:59 PM

Providence's T. F. Green to Boston South Station

I've browsed through other postings, and it seems that to get from Providence airport to downtown Boston (on commuter train) , you need to catch shuttle to bus station IN Providence? Would that be the Providence/Sloughton line into Boston?
We would take Bonanza Bus, but hubby can't tolerate fumes... Amtrak or rent a car?
Thanks!
d

Shandy1977 Feb 14th, 2007 03:32 PM

You are making a good choice using TF Green over Logan. I visit Boston about 10 times each year and always try for TF Green first. Myself, I always rent a car and take 95 North towards Boston. It typically takes me about 45 minutes to get to my destination.

You are correct that the Providence/Stoughton line will bring you into Boston. It arrives at South Station and you can take the local MBTA (a.k.a. the T) lines from there. The schedule and map can be found on their website under "Commuter Rail".
www.mbta.com

I would not use Amtrak. It would work, but I am sure it will cost more and won't save you much time. It takes you to the same place... South Station.

As I mentioned, I have always rented a car or had a ride waiting for me. I know many people who use the Commuter Rail and it has worked fine, though.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip! If you have any other questions, just drop a line. =)

gypsy Feb 14th, 2007 03:43 PM

Thanks, Shandy -
I appreciate the info. We're going in May, so if I do have any more questions, I'll be in touch -
Thanks!
d

Krista Feb 14th, 2007 05:13 PM

In case you have an option to use another gateway airport, Manchester New Hampshire also is about the same distance from Boston and is served by Southwest. They currently have a free shuttle from the airport to the Boston subway network. For more information see:
http://www.flymanchester.com/transpo...le_service.php

r/Krista

Anonymous Feb 14th, 2007 06:47 PM

The Amtrak trains and the MBTA Commuter Rail trains between Prov and Boston all go to South Station, but they also stop at the Back Bay station, which is more convenient for many visitors since it's near many hotels and intersects different MBTA subway lines. Since you'd have to get from the airport (which is actually in Warwick, south of Prov) to the train station in Providence, the time and fares could add up and a rental might work out better.

rkkwan Feb 14th, 2007 09:04 PM

Check the schedule of the MBTA commuter train carefully. They are only frequent weekday morning northbound and weekday evening southbound. All other times, especially weekends, infrequent.

kerikeri Feb 15th, 2007 07:54 AM

is there a reason people don;t like to use logan? is there new construction? delays? thanks.

kerikeri :)

rkkwan Feb 15th, 2007 07:59 AM

Southwest (largest domestic carrier in the US) doesn't fly there.

And BOS fares are often higher than PVD and MHT on other carriers too.

wyatt92 Feb 15th, 2007 08:03 AM

I live in Boston so it may be different for me but I don't find fares out of Logan to be more expensive that Providence or Manchester. True, Southwest doesn't fly out of Logan, but JetBlue does. Anyway, unless there's a huge difference in price, it's much easier to fly to Logan if you're visiting Boston.

gypsy Feb 15th, 2007 02:00 PM

Thanks for all the ideas - yes, we're flying Southwest-we don't have JetBlue service in our area...
I'm looking into Manchester, Krista - thanks for the info on free shuttle, as, yes, I have noticed the infrequent and inconvenient mtba schedule. If we have several people coming in on our flight (going for a convention...) it would be better to rent and travel together. You have all given me great info to help my scattered brain!
thanks
d

EmilyC Feb 16th, 2007 04:04 AM

Cab fare from T.F. Green to the downtown Providence train station is approximately $30. Amtrak to South Station for non Acela is about $12.00 one way. If you have a few people, might work out to get a limo??

gypsy Feb 16th, 2007 09:32 AM

Now, Emily, that is a thought!
That scenario could be a lot of fun... thanks!
d