Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Providence RI restaurant (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/providence-ri-restaurant-601082/)

KathyK Mar 21st, 2006 06:50 AM

Providence RI restaurant

I will be in Providence RI on Thursday and need ideas on where to take a few people for a business dinner. They don't seem to want to pick a place. Is Federal Hill the main downtown location? Price is not an object and would like a fun atmosphere with good food, preferably American, steak/seafood or Italian. Trying to avoid a "stuffy" atmosphere, upscale casual is fine. Thanks for your help. Also, I'm staying at the Marriot at the airport (Warwick). Is a cab the best way to get into Providence?

trishready Mar 21st, 2006 08:39 AM

Hi. Yes I think a cab would be best if you don't have a car. In Warwick there is not much in the way of good restaurant. There are several restaurants in Prov.. Federal is known for their Italian restaurants. I just ate at Medeteraio(sp) there and it is very good. Alot of energy, but limite to Italian dishes. In downtown Prov. there is Union Street Brewery, Capital Grill ...also a Cheesecake Factory, Joe's American Grill, Fire and Ice... and by Brown University there are several (great French) restaurants.
You should consider East Greenwich too. It's the town next to you hotel where there are several restaurants...Paragon..Post Office Cafe..and other ones I can't think of.
It is more lively in downtown Prov or Federal Hill though. Hope this helps! Have fun
Also, Federal Hill is across the highway from downtown, but VERY close.

KathyK Mar 21st, 2006 01:39 PM

Thanks Trishready, anyone else?

lindsyb Mar 21st, 2006 03:54 PM

Federal Hill is definitely the place to go for Italian food. A couple of other suggestions that you can look into are Heminways (excellent seafood), Capital Grille, Capriccio and Cafe Nuovo are all places that I have attended dinner meetings and are all very good.

trishready Mar 21st, 2006 05:28 PM

Two more steak places for you in Prov.. Mill's Tavern and (something) Prime..can't remember the whole name of it.

escargot Mar 22nd, 2006 12:02 PM

On TF Greens web site - www.pvdairport.com - they have a link on travel information to ground transport, which will give you all your options for cab, bus, shuttle vans, hotel vans, etc

We have eaten at Capriccio's several times with clients who all enjoyed it immensely.

EmilyC Mar 23rd, 2006 05:20 AM

I would pick Harborside Lobstermania for good seafood overlooking Greenwich Bay or another choice would be the Post Office Cafe in East Greenwich. Both of these are an easy cab ride from the airport area.

Neopolitan Mar 23rd, 2006 05:26 AM

Clients have taken me to a number of upscale restaurants in Providence, but the best meal we had was at a lovely place that is run by a Culinary Institute or chef's training school. Anyone know the name of it? It was really great.

1JAR Mar 23rd, 2006 06:07 AM

Culinary Institute's name is Johnson & Wales...you could Google and call them and they will refer you to the restaurant the students run.

I'd vote for Capital Grille. Food & service & atmosphere all great. I sat next to Robert Vaughn the Man From U.N.C.L.E once..great hanout for the rich & famous in Providence

KathyK Mar 25th, 2006 06:13 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. We ended up eating at Capriccio's which was a good choice. Very extensive menu and delicious food!

escargot Mar 25th, 2006 09:18 AM

Thanks for posting and letting us know how it went- glad you enjoyed yourself.