Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Providence Hotel Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/providence-hotel-help-811040/)

chgeeb Oct 20th, 2009 06:43 AM

Providence Hotel Help!

Hello,
I was wondering if someone could help us out...
We're going to be going to Providence for a night in November...
We're going just to get away, going to go Christmas shopping at the mall and maybe see a movie, that's it.
Could someone recommend a nice, clean, safe hotel to stay at?
The only things we would like are:
-Free parking! Near the mall, and a complimentary breakfast in the morning would be best!

Thanks everyone!

dfrostnh Oct 21st, 2009 03:59 AM

I've liked the Biltmore but usually stay at the Westin paying convention rates. We get a parking deal in the garage for $10/night. Last year I was able to get the Westin at slightly cheaper than convention rates using Hotwire. It's a gamble if you want a specific location. The Westin has the advantage of a skywalk over to the mall which would be handy if November weather was miserable. The hotel however does not have a complimentary breakfast just a single cup coffee maker. For a cheaper breakfast than the hotel restaurant, I think Murphy's one block over from the convention center offers breakfast. It's basically a lunch/deli place with reasonable prices and some great sandwiches. I wouldn't stay at the Westin if it weren't for the convenience of being attached to the convention center. It's an expensive hotel and although the beds are very comfortable, I don't think it's worth the price. I checked another hotel in downtown Providence and it looked like parking was $20/night. You might just have to consider the price of parking to be part of the deal. If you stay at a hotel outside the city you would still have to pay parking to shop at the mall.
I would take whatever good deal you can find on Hotwire since you can limit search to the downtown area. We've being staying in Providence for about 10 years for the convention and have never had any problem walking around the downtown and Federal Hill area.

chgeeb Oct 22nd, 2009 05:48 AM

Thanks dfrostnh!
We'll look into hotwire.com...I've never booked a hotel through them so I'll try it.
I heard good things about the Renaissance Providence Hotel as well!

Nancy_W Oct 29th, 2009 11:59 AM

There is a Hilton Hotel very close to the Providence Place Mall. It is on Atwells Avenue, which is has tons of wonderful restaurants.

milemarker0 Oct 29th, 2009 05:29 PM

The Mariott in Providence offers free parking, it a bit further of a walk to the mall, but not too bad if it's not raining.

on Hotwire or Priceline beware of the Raddison Hotel on the harbor. The parking is free, but the location is not great.

chgeeb Nov 3rd, 2009 07:06 AM

Thanks for the tips!!!! I really appreciate it!