Private guides at Monument Valley

Old Oct 9th, 2017, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Private guides at Monument Valley

We are touring southeastern Utah next week and will be spending one day in Monument Valley. We wanted a private tour. We were told that there are always Native Americans with Jeeps who are available to give private tours. Can someone verify that information? I see there are many tour companies, but I do not know with certainty what time we will arrive, since we are driving over 100 miles from Bluff, Utah. I would rather hire someone when I get there, instead of rushing to meet someone at a predetermined time. Any information about availability of guides (and approximate prices) would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 09:16 AM

We've just driven to the VC area and used one of the guides who was there. You can of course get one of the many private guides or ask in the View Hotel or Guildings for advice. The prices vary depending on how long the tour is and how many people will be along. Expect to pay about $100 per person for an average private tour.

You can do the drive yourself and if they have graded the road recently most cars can handle it as long as your rental agreement allows.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 11:51 AM

This May, outside the visitor center, is a parking lot with at least 30+ guides from jeeps to horses. And more guide services in the Visitor Center. And more guide services at Goulding's Lodge. And more guide services outside the park.

Not a problem

Navajo allow non-Navajo to drive their 17 mile loop, but no trespass outside of that road. Years ago, we just wandered anywhere.

This policy insures that you purchase their guides - it is a pure monopoly.

Vaga
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 12:16 PM

It's been a few years since I was there, but if memory serves the road looked like it needed grading pretty noticeably. That alone would be a good enough reason to use a guide and have them bung up their vehicle instead of yours.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your informative answers. I feel much more secure about finding a guide when I arrive at Monument Valley.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 10:48 AM

I should have added that if you use one of the guides in the parking lot, the cost should be less than $100.
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 11:44 PM

Last May the dirt/gravel road was very good.
BUT if it rains....

Vaga