Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

locations to rent houses for family vacation on big island

Old Jan 12th, 2018, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are planning a family vacation on the Big Island in May. We've narrowed the rental possibilities down to three or four, but never having been there before are having a hard time figuring out what would work best. We are a family with five grown sons plus wives/girlfriends. We are looking at one house down near Captain Cook, one a bit north of Kailua/Kona and one in town near the beach. Curious what you would see as the pros and cons of each. Also would welcome recommendations re favorite beaches. It looks like the ones further south are mostly snorkeling beaches. Can one simply lie on the sand there or is that not really an option? thanks
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 07:09 AM

I don’t know about house locations but I can tell you that my favorite beach is just south of Kona - it’s called White Sands (aka Disappearing Sands and Magic Sands). The sand is luscious and the water was fantastic when we were there in Nov. 2016.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 09:35 AM

As far as beaches go, the best (in traditional sense) are north of Kailua-Kona by about 40 minutes to an hour. The best might be Hapuna Beach followed by many in the vicinity like Mauna Kea and Anaeho'omalu Beach. There are a number of less accessible beaches (walk to them after a lava hike or drive) that are spectacular.

As far as magic sands goes, or any beach in Hawaii really, surf can make it dangerous at times. The beaches around Kailua Kona are generally OK for just hanging out but get crowded. We like Hapuna because it's big and wide. A couple of June's ago my wife had to be pulled in by a lifeguard at White Sands (Magic Sands)...I barely got out of the shorebreak, she got caught in a riptide and whisked out from shore. Fortunately, a local was watching out for us haolies and paddled over to her until the lifeguard arrived. Lesson learned that should have been known already by us.

As far as the pros and cons of the locations for possible rental homes, Captain Cook area: pros: close to Two Step, Kealakekua Bay, less crowded. cons: a little futher away from many of the beaches you might like. North Kailua-Kona: pros: closer to the beaches I mentioned, average crowds. cons: traffic, possibly more expenisve. In town Kailua-Kona pros: close to everything in the area, walk to many places cons: bigger crowds, it's a little seedy in town and after a few days the novelty wears off.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 09:36 AM

PS Don't rule out non-traditional beaches; Hawaii Island is loaded with them...rocky, narrow or different colors...they are a lot of fun to explore and enjoy. Part of the charm - especially the string of beaches in Hilo along Kalanianaole Avenue - of the big island.
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much TJM - we did rent a house in Kallua -Kona - we are so excited. We are looking forward to a wonderful vacation - thank you for the advice and warnings
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 08:26 AM

You will have a wonderful trip. We bought a condo in a different part of the island after many trips and staying in Kailua-Kona area; even now we always go to spend a couple of days there on every trip. It's lots of fun! Don't let my warnings about the ocean freak you out. You'll see locals in the water at times when you should maybe not get in...respect the ocean and always just be smart and check with ocean safety officers (lifeguards) before you swim if there is any question. When surf is rough in one place, they may be able to guide you to a more protected beach or you might want to visit a different part of the island. There is so much to see and do - have a wonderful trip.