Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Prisoner at Charleston Courtyard Marriott (Lockwood) - Trip Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/prisoner-at-charleston-courtyard-marriott-lockwood-trip-report-930645/)

saltkettle Apr 7th, 2012 04:34 PM

Prisoner at Charleston Courtyard Marriott (Lockwood) - Trip Report

Day 1 and we are prisoners at the Charleston Courtyard Marriott (on Lockwood). Property is pretty (though dated inside) with beautiful view of marina, but near absolutely nothing. No lunch or dinner or food available in the hotel (breakfast is the exception). We tried delivery since out by the pool, 1.5 hour wait. We tried ordering from a restaurant that the hotel recommended; they stopped delivering in 2010 to the hotel. True story. Children are eating pretzels I found in the car. Husband now headed to McDonalds; not a place I ever thought we would order from in a foodie city like Charleston. Tomorrow? If the hotel will let us out, Easter Mass at St. Mary's, then Civil War carriage ride, then brunch at Eli's Table. Stay tuned.

suewoo Apr 7th, 2012 05:13 PM

That's why I absolutely recommend staying in the Historic District. I bang on that drum all the time. There are lots of foodie places not in the HD.

Why can't you go anywahere? Why won't the hotel let you out?

sylvia3 Apr 7th, 2012 05:35 PM

Rent a car?

palmettoprincess Apr 7th, 2012 06:36 PM

You should have hollered out sooner. California Dreaming is just over the Ashley River. There also used to be a decent diner at the marina with great seafood.

suewoo Apr 7th, 2012 06:46 PM

palmettoprincess, correct. But they would have to walk across that bridge.

That Marriott is only 10 years old. Ain't nuthin' by Charleston standards.

So, salkettle, again, why are you a prisoner?

starrs Apr 7th, 2012 07:17 PM

Pretzels were found in the car, so there's a car...
This is the time for the good ole picnic basket. Mine's a pretty monogrammed lime green insulated one. ((l)) it :-)

I'm playing tambourine to suewoo's drums, BTW.

suewoo Apr 7th, 2012 07:44 PM

Or just to drive into the HD.

Michael Apr 7th, 2012 11:38 PM

The OP has something about the Marriott. Check out her only two topics in four years.

willowjane Apr 8th, 2012 03:24 AM

We don't know the whole story I guess, You are in one of the most beautiful Southern cities, why don't you get out and explore and enjoy it!

Gretchen Apr 8th, 2012 04:27 AM

Thinks it's cute to be a prisoner. This is silly. I've got the bass going. OP has the violin section.

suewoo Apr 8th, 2012 05:21 AM

And we have a band.

palmettoprincess Apr 8th, 2012 05:27 AM

It probably is a 30 year old hotel. They had to redo it after Hugo. It used to be a Sheraton, then it sank into a no name brand, now it is a Marriott. It is a good location if you are visiting someone at the Citadel or like the Marina but it stinks for visiting the historic district.

I stayed there before the conversion to Marriott and there was a bus to the historic district but it only ran once an hour.

ronkala Apr 8th, 2012 06:24 AM

I had a delicious dinner at California Dreaming last week while house looking on James Island.

suewoo Apr 8th, 2012 07:07 AM

palmettoprincess, you are right. I was thinking it was the yellow one on the river.

nytraveler Apr 8th, 2012 09:17 AM

Well if one had planned on eating at a hotel - although I can'timagine wanting to eat at a Courtyard - I would asume one would check to be sure that they serve food. Am not clear if it took too long to get food out by the pool but it was available indoors or what?

But really - a Courtyard is not the place to go for 24 hour hotel services - especially meals.

palmettoprincess Apr 8th, 2012 01:44 PM

Oh now I reread it. Courtyard Marriott. Suewoo is right. I was thinking it was the tall Marriott nearer to the Citadel. Yes, I wouldn't expect a Courtyard to have lunch and supper.

suewoo Apr 8th, 2012 02:28 PM

princess, you are right about that old one. It's elderly and near the police station. There are definitely prisoners over there.

Gretchen Apr 8th, 2012 03:16 PM

Does the motel have a view of them--the prisoners, that is. That is a Charleston perk/sight we haven't heard about. Sue, you've been holding out on us!! LOL

suewoo Apr 8th, 2012 03:50 PM

Yes, that's a tip we locals like to keep to ourselves. You know how it is.

weber6560 Apr 8th, 2012 05:42 PM

This is my third attempt at responding but I must say: "you came to the most historic city in America, the Number One destination in America, the cty whose cuisine is second only to New Orleans", to lie at a pool? YOu must be a Clemson graduate!