Princeville review on Fodors

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 12:35 PM
HM

Princeville review on Fodors

My fiance and I are planning to spend about half of our honeymoon at the Princeville Resort in June. Much of our decision to go there came from the raves that we read on Fodor's "Rants and Raves" page and in hearing people's glowing descriptions on this forum. However, reading the newest "rants and raves" concerning service there, I became a little concerned. Has anyone been there recently who knows if service has really gone down hill?

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Sarah

The hotel is getting older I visited but did not stay this summer and the summer before. I did notice they closed the cinema which was fun and mostly for kids anyway. ....Still a great place, spectacular view also mentioned in zagats hotel review.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 06:25 PM
HM

So, the Princeville is getting tired? Now I am beginning to worry. In the "Rants and Raves" they were only talking about service being bad. Are there other problems?

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 09:02 PM
Ben

Unless you're really into golf, I wouldn't stay at Princeville. It also generally caters to an older crowd. If I were on my honeymoon, I would choose one of the newer resorts on the south side of the island, where there are nicer beaches, it is sunnier and there is a whole lot less rain. Its a small island. If you really want to see Princeville or the north end of the island, it is only an hours drive. Have a great time.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 04:34 AM
Sarah

I have visited the Princeville the last two summers and it is simply not true that it caters to an older crowd. Actually I stayed very near Princeville and made several trips for dinner. What I saw was young and wealthy or middle age and wealth, honey mooners or near honey mooners galore. I remember at one point seeing 5 couples in there early 30’s or late 20’s watching the sunset it was then that I thought it was a honey moon spot. But having walked by to pool to the beach eaten at the pool I noticed a mixed crowd so non-honeymooners should not be put off. Come to think of it I can't recall one senior citizen on any visit what so ever but opps Ben might mean that you don't see backpackers at this establishment.It is just not a brand new hotel, still gorgeous still your best bet on the North Shore. Most people visit this hotel if they don't stay there. People really run away with criticisms here sometimes or they just don't qualify what they are saying.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 05:54 AM
xxx

Princeville sounds like a really neat place that I might like to visit. Can anybody tell me where it is???

xxx

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 06:20 AM
xx

Northshore Kauai overlooking bali hai and it is the Princeville Sheraton as noted on above so you see on web.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 06:27 AM
xxx

Dear Double x,

In re-reading the posts, I see nothing about a Sheraton nor any mention of any web site.

xxx

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Jeff

It is in the same ownership as Sheraton. Try www.starwood.com and choose luxery collection. Search Hawaii. You will see others including the Lodge and Mandaly Bay on Lanai, Orchid on the big Island. These are some of there elite properties.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Phil

HM,
To say that Princeville is owned by Sheraton is a bit or a stretch. PV is owned by Starwood, a hotel company that owns several chains, including Sheraton and the W Hotels.

My wife and I (mid 30's) stayed at the PV this past June and had a great time. I would highly recommend splurging on a suite as they are in the quieter wing of the hotel and all have great sunset views from the sunken bathtubs.

In terms of service, I didn't see any problems and found the staff very helpful. However, as may be the case when I stayed at Bellagio in Vegas last week, hotels have needed to respond to the drop in travel by cutting staffing levels. A similar situation could be having some impact on responses about PV.

Good luck and have a great time.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 12:32 PM
sss

Starwood owns Sheraton

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 04:43 PM
2cents

Just returned from my honeymoon. Spent 4 nights at Princeville and loved every minute. The service was impeccable and if you are looking for a classy, luxurious resort, I recommend it over anything on the south shore. Princeville was quiet and it didn't rain once in my 5 days (clouded up a bit in the afternoons).

There is nothing "tired" about this resort. The views are amazing and so is the food.

I give it a glowing recommendation AND that's from a guy who went on to stay at the Four Seasons on Maui and Hawaii.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 09:02 AM
HM

Thank you 2cents. We will be going on to stat at the Four Seasons, but appreciate the viewpoint of someone who just got back. Congratulations!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Carol

The Princeville is a Sheraton hotel just like the Orchid on the Big island, and the Phoenician in Phoenix.
Why does it even matter? Because for those few travellers who notice 'little things' at high end hotels, Starwood ownership will dull an otherwise sparkling property.
I stayed at the Orchid when it was a Ritz Carlton and the Phoenician pre-Starwood and the difference was obvious before and after.
For one, Starwood caters to conventions and "award points travelers", and this crowd is not as demanding as someone paying top dollar to stay at a Four Seasons or Mandarin or Peninsula hotel. Starwood knows this and skimps accordingly.
Not that the decline in service and cleanliness and such is in your face at every turn.
And not to say that the above Starwood hotels aren't nice...they most definitely are nice places, honeymoon or otherwise.
But Starwood ownership does matter in the end.