Kauai: Songdoc's Latest Up-to-the-Minute-in-Person Status Report

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai: Songdoc's Latest Up-to-the-Minute-in-Person Status Report

Here's the report:

Kauai's still as frikkin' gorgeous as I remembered!!! hehehe

I could feel my stress melting away as I boarded the AA flight in Nashville at 9AM. I’d be gone for almost six blissful weeks in Kauai. DP would stay for 3 weeks—then my sister would join me—and we’d end the trip at the Kauai Music Festival (July 11 – 14).

We were scheduled to change planes in Dallas and Honolulu, and arrive in paradise (aka Kauai) after 11PM Nashville time. We’d have to pick up our rental car, stop at a market, and drive almost an hour to the condo in Princeville. Knowing we’d be exhausted, I’d booked a hotel room at the Kauai Beach Resort near the airport for that first night. I’ve stayed there many times for the Kauai Music Festival. I’d booked it through Hotwire as a “mystery,” but thanks to “better bidding” had been able to figure out that it would be the KBR.

The plan was to have a relaxing evening; wake early the next morning; enjoy a walk in the surf (with Sleeping Giant in the distance) and then go to Costco, Walmart, and Safeway before heading to the condo.

We landed in Dallas to learn that the flight to Honolulu had been seriously overbooked. They were looking for seven people to volunteer to be bumped—in exchange for a hotel for the night; dinner & breakfast vouchers—and a $500 travel voucher. I was the first to get in line. $1,000 worth of travel (for the two of us) was tempting—especially when I learned they could get us to Kauai the next day at 5:12PM. Ohh, but then I realized I’d lose the prepaid reservation at the Kauai Beach Resort.

When I hesitated, the gate agent upped the offer to $700 per person. She was desperate. For $1400 in transferable travel vouchers (good for one year) I could arrive one day later and lose the $139 I’d prepaid for the hotel. We had only carry-on luggage, so it was easy to make the switch. Those who had checked their luggage before opting to be bumped would have to do without their bags until they met up with them again in Hawaii.

A side note: DP and I take great pride in being consummate “carry-on-only travelers.” After having my luggage never show up in the Cayman Islands many years ago, I learned how little I really needed. Our crowning glory was our ten-year anniversary trip to Rome—followed by an 11-day Mediterranean cruise—with only carry-on.

This time, we both did carry-on and our bags included (22) books and (40) CDs for the music conference; two laptops; assorted electronics; five boxes of All-Bran (because I’d had trouble finding it last time—and when I finally found one box, it was more than double what I’d pay in Nashville); and assorted favorite teas. I’ve got a washer & dryer—and all I need is a bathing suit, a few T-shirts and a pair of shorts in paradise.

Ohh, back to the adventure …
It was a sweltering, humid 94 degrees in Dallas when we checked into the Hawthorne Suites near the airport. I had my laptop and a good book. My understanding is that Hotwire bookings are non-refundable, and not changeable. But I thought I’d give it a shot. The hotel reservation staff at the Kauai Beach Resort couldn’t have been nicer. They said they’d be glad to let me change my reservation to the following night—but it would have to go through Hotwire, since they’d made the booking. They asked me to have Hotwire call them--which I did. I assumed I’d get a resounding, flat “NO.” But was wonderfully surprised to have the booking easily and painlessly changed with no additional fee.

Then the rain started; torrential and violent enough to have all fights in and out of DFW grounded. So we were trapped in our pleasant little hotel room, smugly counting the $1400 we’d save on our upcoming trip to Europe.

We woke early and enjoyed a free, full, hot breakfast at the hotel. Then I had an “adventure.” After breakfast I had an hour before needing to catch the shuttle to the Dallas airport. It was barely drizzling and I decided to go for a 45-minute walk—my morning ritual. I made a right out of the hotel and walked for 20 minutes through a nondescript industrial area—then turned back. But nothing looked familiar. I’d have sworn I’d stayed on a sidewalk and made no turns—but now there was no sidewalk!

Had I been abducted by aliens? Fallen into the Twilight Zone? I never turned off the street—at least I don’t recall ever turning off the street—so I must just be forgetting the landmarks … My hotel must be right up ahead.

But my hotel was not up ahead. Luckily, I had told DP to turn on his cell phone before I left for my walk. (He never has it on.) The airport shuttle was scheduled to leave in ten minutes—and I have no idea where I am. There are no street signs or addresses anywhere. There’s a street up ahead – far up ahead – and I’m able to find an address. I look at my watch; now, we’ve missed the shuttle. AGGHHH!

DP calls a taxi. The taxi driver is new and can’t find the address I’ve provided. His GPS says that I’m 23 miles away. I have NOT walked 23 miles in less than an hour! Now it’s raining harder. Wait … is that a taxi? YES!!! Whew. $35 later we arrive at the airport and learn that our flight is 40 minutes late. (Of course, it had been listed as on-time when I’d checked before my walk.) But that’s fine. We have a three-hour layover in Honolulu, anyway—and we’re on our way to Hawaii!

Since we’d had a free breakfast at the hotel we used our breakfast vouchers to buy delicious sandwiches from Au Bon Pain to bring on board for lunch. The 8 hours to HNL were boring, but uneventful. I had already seen one of the movies—and had no interest in the other.

My car rental is an interesting story …
The last time I flew back from Kauai, a local couple sat beside me. We had a wonderful, long conversation, and I’d mentioned that I was spending almost four months a year there—and wished I could find a reasonable way to rent a car. They gave me the number of a Paradise Rentals—local agency that rented older cars—at much lower rates; sort of a local version of Rent-a-Wreck.

I booked a 2000 Ford Focus for a total of $780 (everything included) for 40 days—including airport pick up. That was $700 lower than the best rate I’d been able to find at Hotwire. DP drives a 2002 Focus—so that seemed fine to us. The only negative was that I’d have to pay cash—and wouldn’t have the backing of a “name” corporation if something went wrong. But the local I was renting from was a mechanic and said the car was in good shape—and that he’d replace it if anything went wrong. I had a bit of trepidation … but if I could save $700 each of the three times a year that I visit Kauai … I had to give it a shot.

The guy who rents the cars was on time to meet us and drove us to his office—a serious “man cave” – in Kapa’a where we filled out some paperwork. The car seemed fine and I was pleased and relieved, although it had a cassette player—and I’d brought along my fave CDs.

After a pleasant walk on the beach we slept like rocks at the Kauai Beach Resort. The next morning we had our favorite breakfasts at Kountry Kitchen in Kapa’a. Their banana pancakes with macadamia nuts (for an extra $1.00) have seriously got to be the best thing I have ever tasted. DP gorged himself on a luau omelet—stuffed with pulled pork, spinach & cheese, with a side of steaming cornbread.

Spent over $300 on groceries at Costco and Walmart--stocking up on all the same boring foods I'd eat at home. They somehow taste better on the lanai overlooking the ocean ;-) Since we were only a few minutes away, and it was a beautiful, clear day, we stopped for a look at the Menehune fish pond. So beautiful—and so Kauai.

Then on to Princeville. We unloaded our bags at the condo: Sealodge H2—$125/nt (but I got a discounted monthly rate)—booked through Hestara. I’d stayed at this unit in January/February and chose it again, primarily for its exceptional breezes.

We had a nice long walk in the surf at Hanalei Bay. I was relieved to find that it was as incredibly beautiful as I’d remembered. The ocean was calm as a swimming pool—much to the disappointment of the surfers ;-). Ate dinner on the patio of the condo as the sun set. Then sipped tea while watching through the palm trees as a cruise ship sailed by, lit up bright as a Christmas tree.

Now, it’s a perfect morning. The sun is bright and a gentle breeze, and the sound of the waves are a tranquilizer as I gaze out toward the Anini reef with the lighthouse in the distance. I’m writing from my lanai, and two beautiful nenes are expectantly perched beside me—hoping for breakfast. Speaking of breakfast …. it’s time to make mine, so that’s all until the next installment from paradise.

Life is good ...
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 10:06 AM

As Izzy would say: Luv dese reports.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 10:07 AM

Well, the parts about Paradise anyway.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 01:28 PM

I love your reports! Keep sending them!
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 02:34 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Great report Songdoc, did you ever figure out where you went wrong on your walk. What a saving being bumped and being able to change your prepaid hotel as well.

I am sure you wouldn't be able to get away with all that carry-on here in NZ. I must look up the sizes for the US as we will be travelling there later on this year.

Looking forward to the next instalment.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

It's a picture-perfect day in paradise. Could the weather possibly be any better? Walked the path from Kealia Beach a couple of miles down to Donkey Beach. Glorious scenery. Stopped to watch a surfing competition back at Kealia. Unfortunately, for the surfers, the waves didn't give them much to work with but they did their best.

Nelsonian --
You are SO right! In NZ and OZ they weigh your carry-on bags. Even when I wear a vest with lots of pockets; cram things into my pockets; carry my book under my arm; and anything else I can think of -- there's no way I can do only carry-on down under. I think there are technically weight limits in the U.S. but they are never enforced--and the dimensions are quite generous.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 06:48 PM

Great details! I'm so glad you didn't wait until you got back to start your report. I can hardly believe your flight story! Will be at Sealodge in the fall so looking forward to hearing your adventures.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 02:03 PM

i am seriously drooling over your report as i so miss kauai. On our last vist DH was sick and cranky so it wasn't a great journey albeit the views sitting on the lanai helped. He got better the day before we left so I am anxiously awaiting our next trip in 2013. Thanks for filling a void
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 05:39 PM

Glad you had a great day. Here in sunny San Diego - it was a honey-do day - cleaning the garage, waxing and washing the car, etc.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 05:40 PM

Er - that's washing the car first - and then waxing it - after detailing the leather interior and armour-all-ing the tires, etc.
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your comments.

Tom--
walked past the Cliffs today and thought about you. Yes, always better to wash BEFORE the wax ;-)

Shar--
It's awful to be sick on vacation. So sorry. Glad to bring the vicarious bliss.

After my long morning walk I had a blissful, lazy Sunday, drinking Coconut Caramel Crunch coffee from the Kauai Coffee Company plantation (my addiction), while stretched out on the lanai, reading, and doing a bit of writing. There's so much stress & pressure: should I watch the sunset from the hill at Sealodge--or from the beach???
Old Jun 10th, 2012, 11:26 PM

My daughter and had breakfast at the Country kitchen last week. She had two huge buttermilk pancakes, two pieces of bacon, scrambled eggs and half of a papaya !! I had a delicious blt.

My favorite beach was Lumahai.

Total waste of time and money was the Hula, Tahitian, etc dancing at the Smith Family Plantation. So kitchy it made you want to vomit.

Otherwise everything was paradise. We stayed about a mile from the end of the NorthEast coast and went to a different beach each day.

I want to return next week !!

Have a great time.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 04:28 AM

LOL Sondoc. Like the Kaui Coffee brand - and do you also enjoy the Kauai Kookies? http://www.kauaikookie.com/

I loved that brand and could only usually find them at the Food market at Ching Young Village in Hanalei town, at least - going back a few years.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 05:26 AM

Coconut Carmel Crunch Coffee! Wow, that sounds delicious especially if it is a flavored coffee with no calories. My fav coffee is the peaberry coffee from Hanalei Roasting Company. We always stop there the day of arrival to pick up some beans.

When I was on the Big Island in January I bought the most delicious honey sticky bran muffins with macadamia nuts on top. Trying to perfect the recipe but if you see anything like that, let me know!

I'd be most interested to know where you have walked to from Sealodge. Did you walk to the St. Regis? I read on another report that you walked to Anini Beach. Can you walk there from Sealodge?

I know you are going to the music festival later this month, but have you found any place close to listen to some good music?
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 07:51 PM

so songdoc. what is you do for a living that you get to spend so much time on Kauai. I don't think you are retired or r u? What is your favorite "Fancy"or "upscale" restaurant or do you go to them? How about your faorite all around restaurant and you go to every time you there. DH and i always stop for a burger at our favorite burger place as soon as we get our car and head for Poipu.......
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 08:24 PM

Shar, click on Songdoc's name and read some of his interesting trip reports from Kauai. They are quite informative and great reads.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 09:13 AM

@ Rhonda: Tahiti Nui, Hanalei Gourmet and Mediterranean Gourmet usually have live music many nights of the week. Their websites have the schedules. Keli'i Kaneali'i is a treasure and sometimes plays and sings at Nui on Fridays in the early evening. He was the Hawaiian half of the duo/group Hapa in its early days.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Yesterday was another perfect day. I sat with my laptop on the lanai and worked most of the day. Ended it with a sunset walk and swim at Hanalei Bay. The sunset was stunning and the ocean was perfect. Love Lumahai Beach, too. Hmm … maybe I’ll stop by later!

I’ll answer some questions …

What does Songdoc do for a living? Well … a few things. I’m an author and a songwriter. As the name implies I also do “surgery” on sick songs ;-). That means that I get to travel the world to present workshops for songwriters—Ireland, Australia, England, New Zealand, Scandinavia, the Canadian Rockies—and of course … Hawaii. If I have my laptop I can work anywhere. I like my life!!!

It’s too far to walk to Anini Beach from Sealodge—although it’s not more than a 10-minute drive, but I often walk to the St. Regis. It’s a long walk and if I’m feeling lazy, I sometimes drive the first mile and park. I enjoy the walk on the path beside the Princeville golf course with those stunning mountains in the background. If I want to do a serious walk or hike I usually drive to a trailhead and park. But even walking on the parking lot at Sealodge is beautiful.

I laughed about the response to Smith’s Family luau. It’s not my thing, either. I was bored—but I know people who enjoyed it.

Re: Kauai Kookies—and restaurant recommendations …
Due to health issues I typically eat very boring, simple food; no sugar; no alcohol; low fat; no fish. Yes, life is still worth living ;-). So I rarely eat in restaurants unless it’s for a business meeting. But I’ve enjoyed The Lighthouse Restaurant in Kilauea and Kauai Pasta (in Kapaa and Lihue), and Roy’s in Poipu. If I’m going to have a splurge in Kauai it will be Neide’s (in Hanalei) for a Brazilian panqueque or Scotty’s BBQ. And I LOVE Hamura’s Saimin.

For me, nothing beats sitting on the lanai, looking at that gorgeous view and eating my plain, old boring food ;-).

So, no Kauai Kookies for me – but FYI, they are now sold everywhere—from Walmart to 6-packs of them at Costco. DP loves them.

Re: music … Tileaftilly gave some good suggestions. The hotels sometimes also have good music in their lounges. But most of my music will come from the festival. FYI, Hapa will be performing there this year, as well as Colbie Caillat (who is from Hawaii), and some other great performers.

I think that covers all the questions. Better get to work!

PS. Ronda – thanks for the nice comments.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Songdoc, I'm so green with envy! I'm at work right now and you're in Kauai, at the Sealodge on the North Shore...aaarrrggghhh!!! I'm so jealous but I'm happy for you!
I'll be living through you while reading your report and thinking about the next time I'll be there. I know it will be 2013 but I haven't set dates, yet...
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 11:34 AM

We just snagged an exchange of our Marriott timeshare for a week in Maui in late September. Yippee!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -