Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Priceline or Hotwire hotel in Washington DC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/priceline-or-hotwire-hotel-in-washington-dc-449046/)

Maggi Oct 30th, 2008 03:59 PM

Priceline or Hotwire hotel in Washington DC

We'll be in DC on New Year's Eve for a concert at the Kennedy Center and I'm trying to decide in what area to stay. I'm thinking the Capitol area so we don't have too far to go after a late night. We'd probably cab it from the Kennedy Center. Does anyone have any experience with what Priceline or Hotwire hotels I am likely to land at the 4 star level? I have checked Better Bidding but so far haven't seen an answer to my question.

MikeT Oct 30th, 2008 06:06 PM

I think anywhere in the DuPont Circle zone would be fine. It's a cheap time to be in DC and hotels should have good rates.

Anonymous Oct 30th, 2008 06:06 PM

The "hotels won" lists at biddingfortravel.com are usually more comprehensive than at betterbidding.

Maggi Oct 30th, 2008 08:02 PM

Thanks MikeT for the advice on Dupont Circle. After checking all the sites, including biddingfor travel.com I decided I'd like to stay at the Hotel Palomar. Checked Orbitz and they wanted $139. The hotel reservations direct gave me a price of $119 a night. I booked that, since it is possible to cancel if we find something better. It rates #3 on Trip Advisor and looks fabulous on the website. If anyone has any cautions about this hotel let me know. Thanks!

MikeT Oct 31st, 2008 04:45 AM

Hotel Palomar is a good choice. Big rooms, part of the Kimpton Group, good location, close to the Metro, easy taxi ride to Kennedy Center.

Maggi Oct 31st, 2008 05:36 AM

Great! That's good to hear, Mike.

astein12 Oct 31st, 2008 06:22 AM

We got the Mayflower for dirt cheap thru priceline a few months ago. $120/night.

Maggi Oct 31st, 2008 06:44 AM

Astein12, I can see that it is a historic hotel that would appeal to many, but honestly, style-wise I prefer the Palomar.

astein12 Oct 31st, 2008 07:04 AM

I won't disagree, both are nice hotels... but given the lack of choice on Priceline, I was more than happy to stay at the Mayflower for that rate. We had two rooms set in a private 'suite' which made it perfect for my wife, mother-in-law, and I.

Maggi Oct 31st, 2008 07:22 AM

That sounds like it was perfect for you! Congratulations!

mlgb Nov 1st, 2008 01:48 AM

I stayed at the Palomar last year and it's nice, but do NOT get a "King Deluxe" Room. They're much smaller than the other rooms and you can barely squeeze past the foot of the bed without knocking your leg on the desk chair.

It's worth whatever additional you might have to pay to get one of the larger rooms.

Also join the Kimpton frequent guest program and I think they'll give you a little welcome gift of some sort.

Maggi Nov 1st, 2008 03:25 AM

Thanks for the heads up! I'll sign up with them. Did you eat at Urbana?

Maggi Nov 1st, 2008 03:33 AM

Is that the same as the Kimpton In Touch number?

mlgb Nov 1st, 2008 10:41 AM

Yes, Kimpton In Touch. BTW, if you want coffee you have to go down to the lobby in the morning to get it..no in-room coffee makers. (Maybe they have them on request, don't know).

I had planned on eating at Urbana on Thanksgiving Day and they were closed! So don't count on them being open that day.

There are lots of restaurants on P Street, Pizzeria Paradisio is great for takeout (it's on the next block from the hotel toward the Metro stop).

I spent most of my time around the central DC area at the museums and was sorry I didn't get to try Pesce (because I love fish) or Mark and Orlando's which are also on P Street.

Maggi Nov 1st, 2008 12:42 PM

Thank so much for the tips! I'll look into some of those restaurant suggestions. We bring our own coffeemaker and coffee, so that won't be a problem. We'll be there three nights over New Year's.

mlgb Nov 1st, 2008 01:51 PM

In a pinch there is also a Starbucks on the corner.

Have a great trip.