Priceline MIDTOWN EAST New York Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to PL a room for one night on July 4th and am thinking of giving Midtown East a try. They are listing such hotels as:

W New York
Waldorf Astoria (managed by Hilton) Intercontinental The Barclay New York
Millennium UN New York Plaza (formerly a Regal Hotel)
Grand Hyatt New York
Omni Berkshire Place

We'll be coming in from Newark and leaving the next night out of JFK. Want to spend the evening and next day walking around and enjoying the town. How is this area and are all these hotels good and in good walking areas for seeing stuff?

Also will restuarants be open for dinner on July 4th? After all it is NYC right?

Any place we might want to eat that we could get a view of the fireworks?

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Dan

While you may get any of these hotels in theory, it seems that almost everyone who bids 4* Midtown East gets the Grand Hyatt. It's also possible, of course, that another hotel not on this list may be awarded to you.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Dan, yes I know this. I've used PL extensively in the past, just not in this area. Do you have any comments on the Grand Hyatt? It's location? Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 12:58 PM
SAB

Stayed in the Grand Hyatt recently on a business trip--it is right next to Grand Central which means that the airport bus from EWR stops right around the corner. I believe the W is nearby. The area was pretty quiet (by NYC standards) on Sat/Sun and very busy during the week. The hotel is your basic Hyatt, decent rooms, etc.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 01:03 PM

You can't get much more centrally located than the Grand Hyatt. It is on Lexington Ave and 42nd St. Close to some shopping, a walk to the theatre district, several restaurants very close by in Grand Central, or if you like seafood, I recommend Docks, which is on 3rd Ave and 40th St. or another suggestion if you like really good Tex/Mex is Rio Grande also on 3rd Ave at 38th St.

The Empire State is a short walk away as is the shopping district there.

Everything will be open on the 4th.

For fun things to do there is a huge street fair on Water St, in the Financial District, from the South St. Seaport all the way to Battery Park, and there are usually concerts going on there on the 4th.

From the Hyatt, go into Grand Central Station and take the #6 train down to City Hall, and walk around the area, down Broadway, past St. Paul's Chapel (the site of the refuge of the 9/11 workers) and of course the WTC. If you had been to the WTC before you probably noticed the huge globe in the center of the plaza. To everyone's surpise it survived the 9/11, somewhat damaged, but it is on display with an eternal flame in Battery Park and well worth seeing.

Fireworks on the 4th are a MUST SEE. Anywhere you can find to stand on the east side from 42nd down to 23rd is usually the best. We go to 23rd St, but going a bit further south you can see all three barges. They usually close the FDR Highway and people stand on the highway as well.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 01:07 PM
SAB

Oops re fireworks. They are in two locations on the east River--lower Manhattan around south Street Seaport and midtown around 34th. The past couple of years that I have happened to be visiting, we watched from the river around 55th along with lots of other people. BTW Manhattan seemed pretty dead on the 4th except for the fireworks, although I don't recall having any problem finding a place to eat on the upper east side.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Dan

Never have bid this zone because I didn't want the Grand Hyatt! I usually bid Central Park South.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 03:18 PM

I bid the MTW and get the Hilton.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Kal

I just returned from NYC and stayed at the UN Millennium.
Booked it thru P'line for I wanna say $145/night.

It could not have been any better! I told them that the purpose of the trip was Mrs Kal's B'day celebration and asked for a Manhattan view.

Got a very big room on the 38th floor and a great view of the Chrysler and Emp State Bldgs.

Jerry the Bartender and Frank the Bell Capt took very good care of us. So good we actually wrote a letter to the management.
Room service was right on time every time with no cold food or coffee.

We'd stay there again in a NY minute.

The only downside is the location as it's about a 10-15 walk to Times Sq./CP but a vey nice and pretty safe walk.
Getting a taxi at the hotel was never a prob there either.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:51 PM

I have stayed at the Millenium too, though not thru Priceline. As Kal says, great view. However, to me the subway is a bit far.

Some of their rooms are also very small. We sort of "complained" and then got a much bigger corner room. That can be a concern for Priceline booker, if the hotel is fully-booked.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Kal

rkkwan-
You remember what floor? The couple we went with had a large room too.

We had a king sized bed, table w/ two chairs...the place was as big as our first apartment.

Yep. It was a walk to the subway station but we love walking all over places like NYC, Chicago, DC, Boston etc.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:00 PM

We bid 4 stars on PRiceline for mid town east and got the Millenium. Directly across from the UN. Location isn't too bad-- you will have to walk several blocks (I don't recall how many) to get to TImes Square, etc, but I didn't feel it was excessive. THe rooms were nice at the MIllenium. Not overly large, but we had a great view and I was very pleased with it.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

You guys are fantastic! Thanks!

I've stayed at the Hilton in MTW before thru PL but thought it would be fun to stay in a little different location.

Will start my bidding with confidence!

Thank you!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Kal - Can't remember which floor at the Millenium we had. The thing is that I went with a friend, and needed two beds. We arrived early in the afternoon, and they didn't have a room with two beds ready, and asked if we could use one with a queen bed plus a roller. That room had a view towards the East River, but it was so small that there's hardly any space to fit the roller.

So, we waited a while when they cleaned up another. This one has two full beds, and is a much bigger corner room with views to the East and South, I believe. Good view of the Chrysler building.

Anyways, I really like the modern decorations of its rooms.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:37 PM

Sorry, I mean to the WEST and South in my last post.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 07:59 AM

On the resturant question, don't know anything about the 4th in particular but there aren't really many places that have a very good view of the East River where the fireworks will be. The one I can think of is The Water Club - off the FDR at about 30th Street. Also, any of the restaurants at South Street Seaport would be good. Also, if you're willing to go out of Manhattan, look into the Water's Edge in Long Island City (Queens) and there are also a few restaurants on the Brooklyn waterfront.

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:12 AM

Any place you might be able to eat/see fireworks will be jammed. The fireworks don't start until 9pm or later. If you don't do Priceline, you might try the UN Millenium Hotel. Many of the rooms should have views of the fireworks. The Beekman Towers Hotel (part of the Affinia.com group) has a rest./bar at the top that should have good views too.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Duhhh. Didn't read your other replies. At least we're all thinking alike. Beekman Towers is another idea though, if not for staying, maybe for drinking/eating but probably needs a reservation. Their are dinner cruises too, but prob. very $$$ with food that doesn't match the price.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 12:20 PM

I will also be in NYC over July 4th weekend. Like tips on Fireworks and places to eat - UES down to Battery Park. Already have hotel booked.
Thanks to the New Yorkers for the inside "scoop."
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Excellent, my next question was going to be what time do fireworks start? So around 9pm (here on the west coast it's after 10pm!) and how long do they last would you guess?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -