Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Priceline? (Help?) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/priceline-help-348780/)

Lilley Aug 17th, 2003 08:46 AM

Priceline? (Help?)

I was wondering, for those who used Priceline to book the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort, when you arrived at the hotel, were you able to get an oceanview room? I've never used Priceline before, so I'm a bit lost? Also, when you place a bid, will Priceline come back with the name of the resort if your bid is accepted?

hilda Aug 17th, 2003 08:53 AM

Priceline will tell you the name of the hotel when the transaction goes through. I doubt you will get oceanview rooms. I have had great luck with Priceline. Check bidding for travel to see which hotels you are likely to get.

anna_k Aug 17th, 2003 12:45 PM

http://pub210.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding

or www.biddingfortravel.com

Lilley Aug 17th, 2003 01:12 PM

Thanks, I'll check out bidding for travel website.

Andrew Aug 17th, 2003 04:56 PM

Don't expect to get an oceanview room if you use Priceline. You should expect a clean, comfortable room, probably at a very good price (if you don't bid too high). The people who paid twice as much as you paid will most likely get the oceanview rooms. It's possible you can get a view room if you use Priceline but don't count on it.

Andrew

WillTravel Aug 17th, 2003 08:36 PM

Sometimes, if you are very lucky and ask nicely, you can get an oceanview room. Sometimes you can get an oceanview room if you are willing to pay an upgrade fee. If this is what you really want, try the first and be prepared for the second.

Lilley Aug 21st, 2003 03:21 PM

I Hope we can get lucky and get an oceanview room. Any other words of advice. It'll be off season, maybe we will luck up if the hotel isn't to crowded?

ziggy Aug 22nd, 2003 01:46 AM

Using Priceline you're sure to get a room at at least half of what others are paying.

In NYC in May I checked in, and the desk clerk knew my reservation was through Priceline. I asked about the best two-queen or one king room - and also included a request for a high floor (with view). She was more than happy to check the inventory and came up with a great room. Sometimes it just depends on the person on duty at the time you check in. Some are just doing their job but others, with great attitude and desire to assure customer satisfaction, just do their best for you, whether you are booking through priceline.com or other reservation.

When you check in at Marriott Harbor Beach Resort, just charm the pants off of whoever is working - if he/she is really into "customer service" - and it's not peak season - you just might get that oceanview room.

It's worth a try.

Schnitzel Aug 22nd, 2003 02:01 AM

I guess we were just lucky, but we got an oceanview (priceline)room at the Harbor Beach in March without asking. Good Luck.

Lilley Aug 22nd, 2003 11:25 AM

Schnitzel,

Do you mind me asking how much you bidded? I was thinking around $80.00?

kweno Aug 22nd, 2003 01:13 PM

I am going next week. Got the bid for $80. I'll let know about the room.

Schnitzel Aug 22nd, 2003 01:38 PM

I bid $90 and I thought it was a good deal for the dates we were there (early March). The hotel didn't have shuttles, so it was a cab from the airport and another to the cruise ship pier. No free breakfast at this hotel, either, but the room was nice and the pool was beautiful, although crowded. They have a nice evening buffet for about $20/pp.

leslie Aug 22nd, 2003 03:24 PM

After you get your winning reservation, you might call the hotel and tell the reservationist that you're there for a special occasion (eg. birthday, anniversary) and have that noted on your reservation. Also, make sure that you're a Marriott Rewards member. It doesn't cost anything to register, but it does give you additional perks.

I haven't stayed at this specific Marriott, but I have been successful with Priceline before, and have been upgraded.

The other thing that I have done is brought a small gift for the desk clerk when checking in. It's usually something under $5 and that can be shared with anyone else on duty, and it's a nice idea if the item has some affinity to where you are from. When I went to Montreal last year on a winning Priceline bid, I brought a box of chocolate chip and cranberry cookies. The cranberries are native to Massachusetts, where I am from. Surprisingly for my $50 bid, I ended up in a 2-bedroom suite at a 4 star hotel.

Lilley Aug 25th, 2003 06:04 PM

Thanks for the tips!!

Jacqui Aug 28th, 2003 10:43 AM

If you really want an ocean view room, another option would be to email the hotel and ask if you can pay a supplement to upgrade.

I've done this for a forthcoming trip to New Orleans and negotiated an upgrade rate of $50(the initially wanted $75) per night from a normal room to a 750 square foot suite. Well worth the extra in my book.