Reload this Page >

Priceline and parking fees

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 04:07 PM
weenie57

Just made my first bid on Priceline. Seemed reasonable until I discover that the hotel (an airport Marriot in Philadelphia) charges $10 for parking! I didn't even need to stay right at the airport.

How do you avoid that problem on Priceline?

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to know what your parking charges are going to be ahead of time, I think the only thing to do is check which hotels you are likely to get for the area you are bidding on, then check the hotel websites. Then, if there ia an area where the hotel parking rates are lower, you can bid on that area.

Still though, 10 bucks for parking in a metropolitan area isn't bad IMO.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:39 PM

I do worry about parking when bidding for Priceline hotels. I factor it into my bidding price. If I'm bidding for a downtown area, I can guess (Seattle for example) that parking is about $22/night at nearly any hotel. So if I bid $55 for a 4-star in Seattle, I really expect to pay $77 - still a good deal.

This is where BiddingForTravel becomes so useful, because they have hotel lists for each city (not a guaranteed list but still very useful). So you can see which hotels you are likely to get in a zone and see what they charge for parking, then factor that into your bid.

In my experience, you are more likely to pay parking for higher quality levels in downtowns and less likely in the suburbs and/or at lower quality ratings. Then again, $10 isn't bad, especially if it's just for one (?) night.

Andrew
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:34 AM
GoTravel

Priceline hotel rates have nothing to do with parking. $10 per day for parking in a city is pretty cheap.

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:42 AM

You do have to be careful with the parking charges. I may be a bit cheap, but I always go to Bidding for Travel and find the hotels that have surfaced for that area. Then I go to the hotels' websites and figure out what the most expensive parking is. When I make my bid on priceline, I count on getting the hotel with most expensive parking, so if I get a hotel with cheaper parking, I'm pleased. We stayed at the French Quarter Marriott in November, and I didn't feel bad about the $18 parking because I had figured it in to my initial cost. If you are concerned about incidentals like parking, I would look at bidding for travel or at least other comparable hotels in the area and get an idea about what their parking will be.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:12 AM
weenie57

Thanks everybody. I had never heard of Bidding for Travel. I'll check it out from now on.