Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   priceline and four people in a room? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/priceline-and-four-people-in-a-room-372812/)

jodiebug95 Oct 30th, 2003 04:19 PM

priceline and four people in a room?

myself, my hubby, my mom, and sister are going to be in FLL for one night following a cruise. I got Mariott Harbour Beach Resort in Fort lauderdale. My question is, will it be a problem having 4 people in a room?? I know priceline says 2 but thought we would try it anyways. We were wondering if we would have trouble getting in to the pool or the beach areas. any input appreciated!!

Anonymous Oct 30th, 2003 04:38 PM

Before you start wondering about getting into the pool, you ought to wonder whether the room will have more than one bed. Priceline is very specific that all its bids request a nonsmoking room for two.

Since you've already won the bid, you ought to just call the hotel.

puddy Oct 30th, 2003 05:21 PM

I've only used Priceline twice so far but both times I simply called the hotel and requested two double beds. I doubt it would be a problem since I believe hotels usually have more rooms with two beds than one, but you never know.

wow Oct 30th, 2003 05:31 PM

get 2 rooms

Ryn2691 Oct 30th, 2003 08:13 PM

If you try to get a second room now, you may end up with it at a different property.

I checked the resort's website and put in 4 guests when I asked for a room quote, and it noted maximum capacity 5 persons per room. All of the room rates were quoted per room, not per person. I'm thinking that you should be fine. Do call the hotel ask request two double beds; they should be able to honor that.

The only places in the US where I would never use Priceline for a room for 3-4 people are the center city areas of major cities, such as NYC, SF or Chicago, etc., where it is quite likely that the room you get may be at a boutique hotel that will only give you a smaller room on a priceline bid. Most of the time, rooms like that contain one double bed. I've never seen a one-double-bed room in a resort area, so usually trying that in somewhere like Fort Lauderdale is an acceptable risk. The hotel will always tell you if they can't accomodate 4 people in a room, in which case you either write it off as a loss, or get a room for the add'l people.

kikahead Oct 30th, 2003 08:15 PM

We did this once (four people) on a road trip with no problem. Request two beds--obviously they will not guarantee it but I have yet to have a problem getting my bed/nonsmoking request. I often have more trouble getting one bed then two!

JodieAnderson Oct 31st, 2003 05:52 AM

As long as you call to request a room with 2 beds, you should be fine. I have stayed at that hotel and the rooms are a nice size. You will also have no problem getting into the pool area. When I was there, all they requested was that one person in your party show a key to the room. It is a beautiful hotel and you will really enjoy it. Have fun!

MFNYC Oct 31st, 2003 06:17 AM

We've used priceline for a family of 4. After the bid is accepted I call and request a room with 2 beds. I also request a rollaway. There have been times though that I didn't use priceline, because hotels being awarded (particularly in bigger cities like Boston or NYC), were business type hotels and frequently only have 1 bed in a room which would not work for us. I'm sure your Marriott will be fine.

GoTravel Oct 31st, 2003 06:45 AM

Why on earth would you even want to put four adults in one hotel room?

After I got out of college my days of sharing hotel rooms were over.

Dan Oct 31st, 2003 07:26 AM

We once got stuck using Priceline for 3 people in New York. The room was tiny and we had one bed. The hotel didn't have ANY rooms available "at the Priceline rate" with more than one bed and wouldn't budge. Luckily, I have friends in NYC and stayed with them but the other two guys had to share a bed, which they preferred not to do.

In short, beware when using Priceline for anything not "standard." I love the service but it's not always appropriate.

OliveOyl Oct 31st, 2003 08:16 AM

Yup...you may get two beds, or you may get one. What you can be assured of is that those paying full rate will get first choice of preference especially seeing as the Priceline contract is for two people only, not 4!

Not to start a controversy, but I think it's odd that guys that are friends (or family) would never consider sharing a bed, but women wouldn't blink an eye about doing it. Strange...to me anyway...isn't it? I've never understood that.

jodiebug95 Oct 31st, 2003 06:37 PM

Thanks for all the replies.. I do not feel i need to defend my choice to have four adults in one room. It is only one night and my mom is on a budget so we figured, why not?

Of course, like many of you said, I would never do this in NYC or Chicago, as I know that many of those rooms are very small and only have one bed. Thought I would take a chance on this one. We will request two beds and if worst comes to worse i guess i'll be sleeping on the floor!!! Again, thanks for all the info.. this board can be very informational.