Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Price limit but I want the BEST! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/price-limit-but-i-want-the-best-263361/)

XXXXXXXXXX Oct 4th, 2002 04:16 PM

Price limit but I want the BEST!

I have a price limit of $3,000.00 I need to go somewhere and receve the best. It can only take a day from Charleston WV and a day to get back. I'm am going to be there for 5 days 6 nights. My budget includes getting there eating, the hotel, doing one activity a day, and coming home. I know that it is a very tight schedule and price limit but it is for school and it can't change. I forgot it is 2 adults and 2 kids. Help please.

Barry Oct 4th, 2002 06:08 PM

Well, Hawaii, the Caribbean and Bermuda are out since airfares alone would destroy your budget.<BR>If you want one of the best hotels in the US, you will need to get 2 rooms, so going in low season would be helpful.<BR>For example, you can stay in some top rated hotels in the Phoenix area for good prices from June thru September.<BR><BR>Las Vegas is also doable for less $$ than many cities, and the day trips and activities for kids are numerous.<BR><BR>Plenty to do in Chicago, but to stay at one of the best hotels in the city, rooms will top $300 per night, and you'd need two rooms IMO. That would exceed your budget. If you were willing to stay in a good family type hotel (Embassy Suites, etc) your options would be broader, or if you crammed all 4 into one standard luxury hotel, you could have more options.<BR><BR>Other options: Cape Cod/Boston, Vermont/Maine, DC, SF/Bay area including Lake Tahoe or Yosemite.<BR><BR>

thereuare Oct 5th, 2002 05:41 AM

Las Vegas seems do-able, staying at the Venetian and/or Bellagio.<BR><BR>One or two meals may have to be the "best buffet" Las Vegas has to offer, but some of the buffet's in Vegas are better than some sit down meals elsewhere.<BR><BR>Within in your budget though there should also be enough for quite a few very elegant meals.

Ivanna No Oct 5th, 2002 07:27 AM

Your only, but best, option is to go to the Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. Your travel budget will be about $10, so you'll have $2900 with which to spoil yourselves at the resort.<BR><BR>You can find getaway packages and contact information here...<BR><BR>http://www.greenbrier.com<BR><BR>Or call...<BR><BR>800-453-4858

qqq Nov 13th, 2002 06:54 AM

Great idea about the Greenbrier - no travel budget! But for other options, WHEN do you want to take your trip. Or are there no restrictions? Obviously, if you can travel off-peak, you have a lot more choices.

xxx Nov 13th, 2002 08:13 AM

Miami, Orlando, or New Oeleans. Priceline your hotels!

Stephanie P. Nov 13th, 2002 09:28 AM

I believe on $3,000 you could have a really nice place to stay at every night. Why don't you do an Internet search for areas around Charleston? I have surfed the net for the West Virginia Chambers of Commerce before and got a lot of information.

xxx Nov 13th, 2002 10:27 AM

don't think it's a troll, just a high-schooler looking for homework help.

nina Nov 13th, 2002 10:40 AM

Oh it's a troll allright. What I want to know is, they say they want to go somewhere and receive the best. The best what?

NoBoats Nov 13th, 2002 10:44 AM

Oh look, it's Nina after being deleted off of the cruise ? she pops up here w/even more knowledgeable advice. Still waiting for that list.?????

nina Nov 13th, 2002 10:47 AM

Not so Noboats, I've been around the TRAVEL posts if you ever stopped to read them. This is obviously another one of your contributions. Besides, I don't like to discuss anything with anonymous people. Quit hiding behind the phoney moniker, what's the matter, are you afraid of me?

lGotta Nov 13th, 2002 11:06 AM

Gotta agree with Nina. At least she posts under her name.

Greta Nov 13th, 2002 11:27 AM

Ivanna -<BR>There is no way XXXXXXX can get from Charleston WV to the Greenbrier for $10.00. $10.00 would purchase approximately 6.5 gallons of gas. Now depending on their transportation that amount of gas may or may not get this student and his family to the Greenbrier and back to Charleston, doubtful really. Maybe they will go in their Yugo.<BR>I have to agree with Barry that Las Vegas would be a great destination.<BR>Lots of luck and let us know what you decided.

Not nINA Nov 13th, 2002 11:29 AM

How do you know ?? I have yet to see one positive or helpful comment supplied by Nina - EVER !! Please correct me &amp; show me the way.

Oyvey Nov 13th, 2002 11:59 AM

Not nINA, For starters see the Train/NYC/CT thread today. Or you could just do a search genius.<BR><BR>It helps if you read some threads that aren't nonsense. Then you would see the pertinent information.

Oyvey Nov 13th, 2002 12:03 PM

Or you could look at the Stanhope hotel thread, SC Charleston thread, from yesterday. Want more?

x Nov 13th, 2002 12:14 PM

Well nina if you are posting under both oyvey and nina which is your real name? What difference does it make what name we post under nobody really knows if that is our real name or if we've ever really been to any of the places we write about, true?

x Nov 13th, 2002 12:16 PM

IMO, nina is a fraud, phony and probably doesn't travel farther than her bathroom. She is also rude, obnoxious, condescending and a general pain in the ass!

GoAwayNina Nov 13th, 2002 12:18 PM

Doubt if Nina is your real name. I also doubt you have the money you brag about on here. You are probably a pathetic, lonely old hag with nothing better to do than make up a fantasy life about yourself and post it here....

Sandra Nov 13th, 2002 12:27 PM

Does anyone here really like Nina? Doesn't sound like it. Nina, take the hint and go troll somewhere else honey. Why hang around a site when we are on to your little game.