Pretty place to stay 1/2 way btwn SF and Medford, SF, Tahoe, Coast planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are in the planning stages of a mostly northern CA road trip for September. We're going to fly in and out of SF.

Planning on spending 2 days in SF, then 1 day in wine country. Then we want to drive up the coast (101). We would like to stay somewhere about halfway between SF and Medford, OR. What is Eureka like? We would like to stay on the ocean, someplace romantic.

Then we're going on to Medford to visit family for a couple of days. After that we'll go to Reno for the Air Races. Drive back to SF and fly home. It sounds like a lot in a short time, but we've something similar in the past and it worked fine.

Mostly we need help with where to stay on the coast. We're budget travelers. I use Priceline extensively.

Also any suggestion on Sonoma and Napa are welcome too. We're not into paying $15 to just have a couple of sips of wine.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 07:06 AM

It's off of 101, although Ferndale, CA is a romantic town with a lot of Victorian buildings and B&Bs.
http://www.victorianferndale.org/chamber/
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you don't want Eureka.

Ferndale would be very nice but is not on the ocean.

If waterside is important you might consider Trinidad. Mendocino/Little River aren't on 101 but would be a great place to detour/stop

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Sorry, I missed the "stay on the ocean" part. Yes, Trinidad would be nicer than Eureka.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:34 AM

If you bid Priceline, you can get the Napa Marriott or the Sonoma Doubletree (forgot the town) for about $50-%65.

Good luck!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Trippinkpj,
Thanks for the Ferndale link. We may not stay there but I think we'll definitely go through the town.

Janisj,
I'll check out Trinidad. I'm not all familiar with this part of the country.

Easytraveler,
I'll definitely try Priceline for the wine country portion. The less spent on a hotel, the more we can spend on wine.

It's a shame that it's so hard to bring back wine on a plane. We do have a box that 2 bottles of wine that was shipped to us came in. I'm going to put it in my suitcase and bring two bottles back. (If we don't drink them in Reno)

One time when I was a child we ate lunch at an inn on the Oregon coast. It was a big white building on a grassy point that jutted out into the ocean. There were big rocks with waves crashing on them. Inside there was a fire place with a fire burning. A big white Persian cat was laying on the hearth. The grownups ate Crab Louis while I had my usual grilled cheese sandwich. I don't where this was but I would sure like to find something similar to this. (Of course, for under $100/night
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Trinidad looks great!

http://www.trinidadca.info/page.asp?...n_Descriptions
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 11:44 AM

Those cabins look great Bonise! Now I want to go. One of my brothers is thinking of retiring to Trinidad in a few years. I think his Sis will encourage him to do so.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 02:23 PM

You will like Trinidad. There is a restauranat in the town down the hill at the dock.

The cabins look great, but no ocean view. Look at View Crest Lodge or splurge for Turtle Rocks Oceanfront Inn.

Be sure to visit Patrick's Point State Park. Walk through the trees and take the stairway down to the beach.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM
GP

Hi BoniseA

Well if the cat is out of the bag about Trinidad, still an undiscoverd gem(please stay away...just joking). http://www.trinidadcalif.com/
Romantic on the ocean does not exist in Humboldt County unless you count some isolated camping spots I know of. A B and B in Trinidad would be the best bet but it will not be budget,
a budget option may be the Holiday Inn express near the Eureka-Arcata airport in McKinleyville. 5 hours from the Golden Gate to Eureka. About 4 hours to Medford from Eureka. Trinidad is 20 miles north of Eureka. These times are non stop.

Have Fun
GP
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. DH looked at Trinidad and agreed that we definitely should stay there. Haven't figured out which place yet though...