I am planning two years out for our big Grand Canyon/Utah National Park trip. We are a family of five, mom, dad, three kids (ages 9,9, & 10 at time of travel).
In order to keep peace with the children (ie Balance out all of the scenic driving and looking at rocks ), we will choose to stay in hotels with pools as often as possible on our trip. I'd love any hotel recommendations at any of our stops!
Any thoughts on drive times and how long we need to get a basic feel for each National Park/stop would be appreciated!
Here is our itinerary:
Leave home, driving west, to Moab. This will take three days.
Arches and Canyonlands (We can do both of these based out of Moab, right?, How many nights?)
Monument Valley (one night?)
Grand Canyon, South Rim (one night)
Page - (2-3 nights? Half day float trip, Glen Canyon Dam, Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend)
Zion (We can bypass Las Vegas by driving from Page to Zion, correct? I saw another family did this, and I was thrilled. Nothing against Vegas, but I'd rather just stick with the National Parks) (How many nights here?)
Bryce (2 nights?)
Then, I'd like to drive from Bryce to Where? Torrey?
We can stop at Escalante, and Calf Creek Falls (?) and Capital Reef, but I have no intention of lots of time in these places, just stopping at lookouts. How long is this? A full day of driving on Rt 12?
Then, Goblin Valley and home.
Thoughts on the timing for each place? I'd say we'd do just a little bit of hiking - more lookouts and very easy and safe trails. My husband and I are in decent shape, and our kids are normal kids - healthy.
I'd love input. I know it's a bit far out time wise, but I love the planning almost as much as the traveling
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 February trip San Fran to Yosemite...
- 2 Brooklyn dinner? Bronx Breakfast? And opinions on the zoo?
- 3 Copper - How many open runs usually open in December at Copper Mountain?
- 4 Asheville, SC to Knoxville, TN Transportation
- 5 Will Travel for Food - A Long Weekend in Philly to try a restaurant
- 6 glacier national park to yellowstone route
- 7 Lodging locations in Miami for an overnight visit
- 8 Restaurants - NYC Financial District
- 9 safe travel idea within US to travel alone with preteen daughter and Mom
- 10 Hard Rock Stadium - transportation to stadium or parking?
- 11 Family winter holiday
- 12 Drive Time from Philadelphia to Gettysburg?
- 13 Galveston
- 14 Where to go in Florida . . . without a car?
- 15 4 days in San Diego
- 16 PNW & its grudge against the bumbershoot
- 17 Ski trip in Park City, UT – where to stay
- 18 Train Journey, SFO to SEA
- 19 Padre Islands
- 20 NYC hotels...asked often but would like suggestions
- 21 Boston Must Do's with 4 year old
- 22 Bolt bus?
- 23 Nj to Charleston SC during Christmas bestate way
- 24 Not a Typical Trip Report
- 25 Kiwi girls going from Houston - Nashville
Preliminary Itinerary for our Grand Circle Road Trip - Family with Kids