Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Predictions for peak leaf color in September?
Notices

Predictions for peak leaf color in September?

Aug 19th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Predictions for peak leaf color in September?

We're planning a long weekend to the Telluride/Ourey area sometime in September to see the fall colors. Our choices are the weekend of September 13th or the 27th. What's the color schedule look like this year?

Here in the midwest, we're already seeing a little fall color because of the cooler than normal summer temperatures. September 13th fits our schedule the best, but I'm concerned that might be too early. Anyone in the area with a "live" report? What are the experts saying for optimum leaf viewing?
Aug 20th, 2014, 10:54 AM

I think you'd have the best viewing the weekend of the 27th. The aspens usually change in the mountains from mid-September to mid-October.
Aug 24th, 2014, 08:47 PM

And, obviously, the further south you go the later the peak. We were in the mountains on Friday and so no evidence of any change. Many of the wild flowers are still blooming.
Aug 24th, 2014, 09:55 PM

Reporting from the Fraser River trail, walking from Winter Park:

I saw only the tiniest signs of Fall in the foliage today. In the smallest plants, and some scrub bushes, you can barely see yellow or red. There's definitely a coolness in the air. We had a gorgeous blue sky day, with white clouds.

This is a great time to visit Colorado. Kids are back in school, traffic on I-70 is reasonable, and the weather is mild.

You will enjoy CO, either weekend you choose. Don't stress over the "best" time.

Search this Thread