COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Pre-theater dinner suggestions for Cadillac Theater area?

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be in Chicago at the end of April and have tickets to see Spamalot at the Cadillac Theater on a Thursday night. I am looking for advice on where we might eat before the performance at 7:30. I checked the threads and can't seem to find information that is less than three years old. We are open to any type of cuisine as long as it has some good wine selections.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:15 PM

There are lots of choices 312Chicago is next to the theatre which has Italian-inspired dishes. Petterino's is at Randolph and Dearborn, 2 blks east. Some other possibilities are Catch 35 at Wacker and Clark, Trattoria No. 10 on Dearborn, or Smith & Wollensky's in Marina City. Check www.metromix.com. You can enter a neighborhood, cuisine and price range and it will give you a list of possibilities.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM

As apseals mentioned, Metromix is a good starting point. There are innumerable restaurants within walking distance or a short cab ride.

If you identify what cuisine you would prefer, Italian, Steak, etc., we could give a few suggestions.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Cuisine preference is pretty open but probably not a steak place. We enjoy upscale but not pretentious restaurants with a good selection of wines by the glass. Italian is fine or other ethnic cuisines as well as American or Southwest.
BYW, what is the dress code for the theater?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:05 PM

Trattoria No. 10 is an excellent choice. It is on Dearbron within walking distance.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM

I'm sure you'll see people in jeans, but most of the audience will be dressy. Something you'd wear to a nice restaurant will be fine. You may want to make sure you have a light jacket or sweater as many theatres have a natural draft due to the size of the room.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 09:34 AM

I would recommend visiting www.broadwayinchicago.com.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:25 AM
JJ5

Trattoria #10 is very close. It is down below ground level and quieter than most. It has a good atmosphere, IMHO. The others are fine too- Petterino's especially.

Trattoria #10 is not high end pricing- more mid, but it is not a red sauce spaghetti joint. Most items are a la carte and Northern Italian. They have great salads and good specials of the day both times I've been there this year. One of their specialities is Butternut Squash Ravioli. They also have excellent desserts and a long wine list. 312Chicago has a many wine choices as well.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

My conference got cancelled so no trip to Chicago for me next week.
I will make note of the suggestions here and use them next time. Thanks again to everyone that responded.