Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Pre-Mardi Gras Weekend (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/pre-mardi-gras-weekend-200068/)

Elmster Jan 24th, 2003 04:04 PM

Pre-Mardi Gras Weekend

<BR>I am looking at heading down to New Orleans for four days for Feb. 20-24 as I can get a decent flight from Edmonton for that weekend (much cheaper than Mardi Gras weekend). I notice that hotels are charging heavily on Friday and Saturday due to what one clerk termed as 'pre-Mardi Gras' prices. <BR>What can I expect in the way of crowds that weekend? Are the parades decent? Anything else I should know (events, etc.) for 'pre-Mardi Gras weekend?<BR><BR>Thanks!

dan Jan 24th, 2003 06:11 PM

The city's hotels will be full and crowds will be large. Not as large as the following weekend, of course, but large.

Elmster Jan 24th, 2003 11:13 PM

<BR>I can't believe trying to book with Expedia!!<BR>I held a reservation from Edmonton to New Orleans for $440Cdn total (VERY cheap from here) and had 'reserved' it with Expedia.ca which I could hold until midnight PST Jan. 25. <BR>I come home at midnight to pay, first I call Expedia to confirm the price and itenerary she says still $440 but an earlier departure time revision, I hang up, book a hotel and a car then at half past midnight go to 'pay' for my flight and it has gone up to $780Cdn!!!<BR>No New Orleans for that ridiculous price!<BR>Sorry.<BR>Had to rant as I am SOOO PISSED!!<BR><BR>Don't Book a Flight with Expedia Unless You Pay at the Time of Booking.<BR><BR>Take my advice...

dan Jan 25th, 2003 04:14 AM

Sorry that happened! I've heard a lot of stories recently about rapidly changing airfares.<BR><BR>If you find another good fare, come on down! It's a good time to be in N.O.

Thinking Jan 25th, 2003 05:27 AM

Elmster, check with Orbitz. Sometimes the low prices last longer over there...

Elmster Jan 25th, 2003 07:01 AM

<BR>I just got up after a fitful sleep and tried Expedia again...same expensive prices. <BR>Regarding Orbitz, unfortunatelt they don't deal with Canadaian departures but thanks anyway.<BR>I really feel like crying.

Cindy Jan 25th, 2003 07:21 AM

Hey Elmster - how about trying to get there for either the Jazz Fest or French Quarter Fest? You might have to give up on Mardi Gras, but don't give up altogether - it's too great a city to miss!

Elmster Jan 25th, 2003 09:49 AM

Cindy I'd love to but I won't pay $800 to fly there as is advertised today. I was originally intending to do the French Quarter Festival in April but this 'too-good-to-be-true' price came up for Mardi Gras and I though 'what an opportunity'...Expedia sucks. They will never get my business (I know, I know I'm the one who assumed that when my flight was held the price would be held too).<BR>I've been to Jazz Fest, had a good time as I love the food and music but it was so hard to get around the site due to the crowds and got to be a pain. I also attended the Festival Acadiens in Lafayette in '94, last time I was down there, and really had a blast.<BR><BR>I've got the Bayou in my blood and really hope I can swing a deal for April now.<BR>Thanks for the encouragement!<BR><BR>Les Bon Ton Roulets!!