Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Pray for Sex? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/pray-for-sex-124286/)

tina May 16th, 2001 03:57 AM

Pray for Sex?

OK --2 more days and we're in Honolulu --I heard they have a beach called "Pray for Sex" <BR>We we're looking for possibilities of any secluded private baeches and I have heard it's a very quite and nice secluded beach --is it for real? Has anyone heard of it or been there?

LTY May 16th, 2001 08:19 AM

Pray for Brains might be more relevant.

oralroberts May 16th, 2001 11:33 AM

try www.jerryfalwell.com

koa May 16th, 2001 02:49 PM

Yes, it's no joke, there is a beach called pray for sex. It's actually makua beach on the waianae coast. It got that name because someone spray painted that line on a big rock overlooking the beach.The waianae coast is not frequented by tourists. I wouldnt go there unless accompanied by locals. check out the north shore and windward oahu for secluded beaches.

Dan May 17th, 2001 12:34 AM

Actually, Koa, many people, myself included, who have stayed at the Ihilani Resort and Spa, have driven up that coast MANY times and enjoyed it immensely WITHOUT locals tagging along!!

Melissa May 17th, 2001 01:02 AM

There's a difference between "driving up and down the coast" and actually stopping. If you stop, park, get out, etc., it's at your own risk! Not to give Waianae a bad rap, but it IS much safer with a local friend.

Sam May 17th, 2001 01:50 AM

Could that be why the few condos. I saw listed in that area are so cheap?

Tina May 17th, 2001 04:25 AM

Thank you KOA! I had heard not so safe too but wanted to ask the experts! <BR> <BR>Aloha, :)

Joan May 17th, 2001 04:37 AM

Not safe in what way? Geology/tough waves or sociology/tough neighborhood? <BR> <BR>(Irresistable pun: "Pray for Safe Sex")

Koa May 17th, 2001 09:22 AM

Let me clarify something. safe is a relative term. one can be a victim of a crime anywhere. I suggest taking locals because they can show you the beaches that are safe to swim and what areas to avoid. There are good people in Waianae, but it also is the poorest district on oahu, and drugs and crime are high.

Dan May 17th, 2001 10:28 PM

Well, actually, I HAD heard about the controversy regarding the Makaha (?) district years ago, and how developers might be "shot in the head" if they dared try to develop more of the area, but it still didn't stop me from enjoying drives up the coastline (and STOPPING along the way as well, MELISSA!) And as far as I know, they still have a Sheraton Hotel along that coastline (inland), so SOMEBODY must be staying further north of the Ihilani! As far as going INLAND myself, well, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that in many places on the other islands as well, especially if it doesn't "feel right!" Believe me when I tell you -- compared to MOST parts of the Caribbean, the Waianaie (sp?) coast is HEAVEN (with many beautiful spots INLAND as well!!!)

N.R. May 18th, 2001 02:58 AM

Is there really a Sheraton on the W. Coast of Oahu? If so, they are doing a great job of hiding it!

koa May 18th, 2001 09:00 AM

The sheraton makaha closed down a few years ago. If anybody has military connections, you can book a cabin at the pokai bay rest camp in waianae. Great beach, nice cabins. Military police patrol the parking lot.

Melissa May 18th, 2001 07:01 PM

Tina, a nicer alternative would be the North Shore. Although not totally secluded, it's really nice out there and there are quaint places to stop for lunch (or to shop) in Haleiwa. Although there's a good amount of traffic through there on weekends, Haleiwa still operates with a small town feel....really down to earth. <BR> <BR>Just to share some prudent advice for you so you can have a safe, enjoyable trip!