Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Prairie du Chien Restaurant? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/prairie-du-chien-restaurant-711356/)

nicoleevon Jun 7th, 2007 09:55 AM

Prairie du Chien Restaurant?

My husband & I will be spending this weekend in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin with his family...just wondering if anyone knows of a place in town (or within reasonable driving distance along the River Road) where the two of us might get away for a nice lunch or dinner alone?

Thanks!

abram Jun 7th, 2007 04:08 PM

Several years ago, we were having dinner in a very forgettable Prarie du Chien restaurant, and we asked our server what there was to do in the evening. Her answer, "Go to Dubuque."

mdwest Jun 8th, 2007 04:32 AM

I can't think of any fancy places but we had a very nice lunch at a place called the Sawmill Saloon. It was an old place with tin ceilings, etc. There was also a coffee shop on the same block that was recommended by townsfolk but we didn't get a chance to try it. I have yet to find anything better in Praire.

jette Jun 8th, 2007 04:58 AM

The Twisted Chicken over in McGregor Iowa, right across the river has probably the best menu around. It's worth the trip over there to Marquette/McGregor. Cute towns with lots of history. Also be SURE and make the trip up to Pikes Peak. Astounding view of the Mississippi and Wisconsin rivers.

In PDC, my all time favorite burger jount, Eddies!! Very popular local joint that's been serving up the best burgers in town. It is a tavern but don't let that stop you. Lots of local families stop in for lunch.

Suzimom Jun 8th, 2007 07:16 AM

I can't remember the name of the place we always visit when we do our yearly fall camping trip to Macgregor...The Sawmill Saloon didn't sound familiar as the name, but the place I'm thinking of is on the corner of the old downtown shops -- it had tin ceilings and a nice atmosphere with good sandwiches and a nice beer selection...We go every year & spend some time. It might be the same place that mdwest mentioned...

If you are ever able to visit in the fall -- be sure to check out the candle-light ghost tour of Villa Louis. They only have it for one or two weekends in October. We've gone twice to it -- very fun and informative -- our 10 year old son loves going each time...

nicoleevon Jun 8th, 2007 09:32 AM

Thanks for the advice! The Twisted Chicken actually has a website (www.thetwistedchicken.com). It looks like our kind of place. We're planning on spending tomorrow checking out Pikes Peak State Park & Effigy Mounds National Monument, so that could be perfect for lunch. We'll try to check out the Sawmill Saloon for dinner on Saturday or lunch Sunday.

Thanks again,
Nicole

nicoleevon Aug 22nd, 2007 10:56 AM

Well, better late than never...I thought I'd report back to those of you nice enough to offer advice. We tried the Twisted Chicken for lunch our first day & really enjoyed it. Nice decor, local artwork on the walls which I always love & very good food. My husband had a huge & fresh cobb salad & I had the daily quiche special.

The next day we found the place (we think) that was mentioned with the tin ceilings. It was called Fort Mulligans. They had good food too, more of the pub type. We both had good fried fish sandwiches & fries & New Glarus beer on tap...Spotted Cow & Fat Squirrel. It was a really family friendly place, which you might not expect from a pub, but a little smoky (as you would expect).

This was our first trip to the area & we really enjoyed it. As I mentioned previously, we did some hiking at Effigy Mounds, Pikes Peak & Wyalusing State Park. The area is just beautiful & the parks were really nicely maintained. As jette mentioned the view of the 3 rivers coming together from Pike's Peak is not to be missed!

We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites...they were very accomodating even to our dog & had a nice breakfast in the mornings, plus an indoor waterpark. A great place to stay with or without kids. I can imagine the area would be a nice weekend trip to check out the fall colors in October.

mdwest Aug 24th, 2007 07:14 AM

I'm embarrassed that I gave you the wrong restaurant name. Of course it is Fort Mulligan that I was referring to. Good thing Suzimom got it right. We have since tried the coffee shop nearby and the sandwiches are very good. The name of the place is "Simply". I double-checked so I know I've got this one right.

nicoleevon Aug 24th, 2007 10:16 AM

Don't worry about it mdwest. You helped point us in the right direction. And once we took a look inside the Sawmill Saloon vs. Fort Mulligans it was pretty clear which one you were talking about (not that there was anything wrong with Sawmill...just looked more like a bar than a place for lunch).

We took a look at Simply's menu too...looked good, but my hubby really had a taste for a fried fish sandwich so we ended up at Fort Mulligans ;)