Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Potential job offer near the TX Medical Center in Houston.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

* View joe c's Profile
* joe c

* Total points: 96 (Level 1)
* Points earned this week:

* --% Best answer

How long and how difficult is the AM Commute from Katy (will the new freeway improve the commute all that much?)
and Cypress? I was just on another web page chatting with current and former Pearland residents and based on their comments Pearland is out.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:44 AM

It is probably 25-30 miles. When I lived in Houston a few years ago, this was a horrible commute. Don't know if it will get better, but so many people are moving to Houston that it seems like new freeways can't keep up.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:14 PM

I drive from the west side to downtown (14 miles) on I-10/the Katy Freeway, and it takes me about 40 minutes. Katy is much further out - maybe an additional 10-15 miles or so. Personally, if you can live closer in, I would do it.

I-10 is totally torn up and under construction; I'm hoping when it's finished, things will be better, but it will be a long while before it's completed. Things are a little better when school is out for the summer, but once it starts again, it's basically a big parking lot.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM

Also, will you have another passenger with you? If so, there's an HOV lane that you can take that would really cut your commute time.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:30 PM

I am really interested in hearing about the bad things of Pearland. Several of my colleagues live there (working at TMC), and it's just like many suburb areas, same as many areas in W. Houston and Katy.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

THESE ARE POSTS ON ANOTHER SITE-. THIS SHOULD MAKE FOR SOME INTERESTING CONVERSATION. IA M REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM PEARLAND RESIDENTS. I WAS EXTREMELY DISCOURAGED AS I REALLY LIKED PEARLAND AND ITS PROXIMITY TO DOWNTOWN/MED CTR/UNIVERSITIES....THANKS...SUBZERO

This does not shock me whatsoever, the only shock is that it is not higher. I live in Pearland, and want out. It is very changed here and for the worse. Even the retail is just not the same, diapers and trash blowing thru the parking lots, thugs all over the place. We are looking to get out and get out fast. Yes there are more population =- more crime, but do not forget that their are wards and thugs from Mo city all over the place. That will never change, add in Katrina "refugees" and this is a nitemare town. The schools are falling fast and most people I know want to get out!

Interesting. I was very interested in relocation to Pearland and instead choose to go West of Houston to the Katy area. It would have been much easier of a drive to my position if I would have chosen Pearland.

However, the 3 times me and my family drove and stayed in the area, we did not care for what we saw. Very thuggish characters and poorly designed roads and walk ways.

A distinct lack of greenspace, poorly planned and controlled retail development. There is a bit of bright spots for Pearland in the form of the Shadow Creek Ranch area, yet that is engulfed by a very bad part of town called Missouri City and attracts crime a stone throw away.

While Pearland might on the surface look like a nice family friendly town, a quick drive around or two really helps you understand this place better.

We are very happy to have made this realization almost too late- but we were able to pull out of our builder at the last minute and built in the Katy area.

I have another co-worker who did end of moving to Pearland in Feb of this year , and is miserable. They are hoping to sell and move west to the Rosenb/Katy area, unfortunately they will lose a lot of money doing so.

They noticed a distinct influx of thug type individuals and feel very unsafe and targeted when they are simply shopping.

The 15% increase in crime does not suprise me. It is sad but it will only increase. This town is surrounded and choked by the ward down 288 (not public housing, but a real ghetto), a short distance is the nitemare of hobby airport and then the other distance is Missouri City.

More often than not you have to take forums like this with a grain of salt, however, in this case I believe you are getting true accounts and opinions.

First of all congrats on your marriage.

You would probably be well served to avoid the pearland area.
Humble, is a touch and go situation, and I don't have enough personal exposure to give an honest opinion.

Clear lake, I personally would avoid however, for me it is similar to the Humble area.

Cypress, is a really nice area that is just exploding with new construction amid older established neighborhoods and ranches/farms. The one major drawback would be dependent on your commute, Highway 290 is a traffic nightmare.... public hearings are underway and expansion is coming.. If the expansion goes anything like the Katy freeway (I-10 west) then you may be in good shape, otherwise.... well you just can't imagine.

Katy area, which is where I call home. I have lived in the Katy area for a long time.. I have watched it go from a small sparsely populated area to this sprawling "mini metropolis" that doesn't seem to be slowing down a bit.
If my parents were looking to relocate, I would strongly recommend that they move to the Katy area.

You can find many resources on the internet, I would strongly recommend if you haven't already, check with the local chambers of commerce they generally have great relocation resources.

Good luck with your move.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

I SHOULD ADD THAT THE POST TOPIC WAS "RISING CRIME IN PEARLAND"
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:50 PM

That post was funny. I really can't tell where that person should live.

Let me see, east side is definitely out. Can you imagine driving though I-10 Baytown freeway to work? Same with US59 North or Gulf Freeway. Passing though totally inhabitiable areas.

I-45 North, no way. Have to pass through Gunspoint.

Sugarland to TMC via US90? Gosh, Missouri City.

That doesn't leave much area to live in anywhere in the world.

Give me a break!

Anyways, come visit and take a look. Drive the freeways during morning rush hour and time it yourself. Those kinds of posts are absolutely useless and ridiculous.

Oh, and BTW, I live in SW Houston, but only a couple of blocks from the "thugs and wards" of Missouri City. I think I better move.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like they have a problem with MO City or Houston in general. I have been to Houston many times and I like what I have experienced. I have been to "suburbs" of LA (some are gang infested), Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Atlanta....and in my opinion Houston by far has the nicest suburbs....cant help that everyone does not look or dress like the standard....and as an African American it really upset me b.c that particular post was from another AA.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM

I think the Houston suburbs are quite nice - I'm not that familiar with Pearland, so sorry I can't help you there, but in my office folks live in Sugar Land, Memorial, Kingwood, the Woodlands, and Friendswood. All of them involve a long commute because the most affordable housing is in the suburbs, but I think we've all just come to accept the fact that most people work in the city and live in the suburbs, and the commute time is just part of everyday life.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Let me clarify something. Pearland is a pretty large city, in terms of size. The "town center" or the older part is closer to I-45 South, on the eastern part of town.

That's a relatively poor area of the Houston metropolitan, and few/no new houses. I won't be shocked to learn that crime rate is a little high there.

But when people talk about moving to Pearland, they're talking about the western side of town, adjacent to TX288. That part is totally new, totally middle to middle-upper class. Lots of doctors and researchers at TMC live there. It's your typical American suburbia - big houses, chain stores (with virtually every single chain of everthing has a store around the 288/518 intersection), new and nice public schools, neighborhood club houses, etc.