Post Wedding Romantic Hotel PA/CT/NJ/NY

Mar 29th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Post Wedding Romantic Hotel PA/CT/NJ/NY

Hi Fodor Friends,

I have been charged with the responsibility of helping my good friend who is getting married in May find a romantic place to go for 2 nights post-wedding (the actual honeymoon will be later in the year).

She is getting married near Philly, but lives in Connecticut, so looking for ideas between the two. I don't want to advise her to break the bank, the wedding is expensive enough. No more than $300 per night max. Hotels, inns, cottages and B&Bs are all fine as long as they are romantic and offer some privacy for the newly married couple.

Thoughts?

Thank you!
Mar 29th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Where is the wedding (day or night?) and where in Ct. does she live? What sort of things do they like? More luxury or outdoorsy?

Maybe Spring Lake, NJ or Bucks County Pa. Here's a previous thread on romantic places on the Jersey Shore
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34438759

You might also have a look on Luxurylink.com for ideas
Mar 29th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks McLaurie,

The wedding is at her parents place near Exton, PA. They won't leave the night of the wedding itself, but rather the next day, so they have plenty of time to get where they are going. She lives in New Haven.

They are both outdoorsy, but would like a touch of luxury. Neither is really into the Poconos style romance, I can't see them lounging in a champagne glass shaped personal whirlpool. It's just not their thing.

I was trying to think of a place maybe in the Hudson River Valley area, but will definitely check out your suggestions.

thanks!
Mar 29th, 2007, 08:32 AM

Buck's County is wonderful. I don't really get a Poconos feel from there. A nice place to go out - or stay in!
Mar 29th, 2007, 11:30 AM

The Lambertville house, Lambertville NJ is nice. It is just across the bridge from New Hope, PA.
Mar 31st, 2007, 12:46 PM

Check out the Sagamore on Lake George in New York. Their web site is www.thesagamore.com
Mar 31st, 2007, 01:21 PM

While the Hudson Valley is lovely, I think it takes them way out of their way from Exton to New Haven. Either Lambertville, New Hope or the Jersey Shore seem to make more sense. Even Long Island might be nice and they could take the ferry from Port Jefferson to Bridgeport Ct.

If they like food and wine, the Jedediah Hawkins Inn is lovely, has a great restaurant and is near many of the North Fork Vineyards.
http://www.jedediahhawkinsinn.com/index01.php

Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone! I gave them 5 choices, several of which suggested here. They decided to go with the Spring Lake Inn, in Spring Lake, NJ. All the reviews I read are great, so I am crossing my fingers. I'd hate to be responsible for a terrible honeymoon!

Thanks again everyone.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:33 AM

They should look into some of the B&B's in Cape May, NJ. It's about an hour drive from the Philly area. Beautiful town and it won't be so crowded in May.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:26 PM

The Irish Riviera - good choice!
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:21 AM

That's a great choice! Spring Lake is adorable, and surrounded by several other small beach towns. Tell them to be sure to visit Ocean Grove as well!