Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Post travel Blahs? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/post-travel-blahs-617880/)

ilovetotravel29 May 23rd, 2006 12:34 PM

Post travel Blahs?

How many of you on here, after traveling somewhere different for more than a week, came home very depressed or even contemplated not coming back at all?

JohnD May 23rd, 2006 12:43 PM

Not me, having confirmed &quot;the <font color="green">grass <font color="black">is always <b><font color="green">greener<font color="black">&quot;...:S-</font></font></b></font></font>

Kal May 23rd, 2006 12:51 PM

Only on every vaction...other than that not a problem.

But it's nice to get back to work so I can catch up on my sleep.
((S))
|-)

GoTravel May 23rd, 2006 12:57 PM

Not me. I always enjoy coming home but I live in a location where a lot of people vacation.

Paucie May 23rd, 2006 01:00 PM

I used to feel that way until I realized it wasn't about the place I was in, it was about my state of mind.

I liken it to The Bachelor syndrome (the TV show): Every thing/place/person seems wonderful when you don't have to deal with day-to-day drudgery. Once I realized that wherever I went, there I was, things felt differently.

Then again, I still want to move soon! HA!

FainaAgain May 23rd, 2006 01:05 PM

I'll be leaving Chicago on 16th. Then my post-travel Blah will come along on 29th :))

Hello, Kal :*

Annabel May 23rd, 2006 01:05 PM

I used to feel this way so I know exactly how you feel. I also feel this way when I travel to the Caribbean in teh dead of winter. I swear before the plane touches down in JFK I can my skin shrink from the damp cold. I avoid going to tropical destinations during this time.

There is only one cure for this feeling and it's to always have 2 trips planned at the same time. Honest it really really works. You may feel depressed when leaving one trip but you always have another adventure to look forward to. Instead of being sad about leaving your recent trip it, you reflect on it with happiness. You actually look forward to getting home, getting back to work and start on the next one.

When you travel often, after a while the reverse starts to happen. You actually look forward to being home for a while. When we walk into our house after a trip we now feel there is no place like home. We travel so much that the security personnel and the waitresses in the restaurant at JFK know us...my DH does not know if that's bad or good.

The grass is greener, but you have to find that out for yourself.

ilovetotravel29 May 23rd, 2006 01:17 PM

I realize that I am very blessed to even be able to have a roof over my head and food and even be able to travel like I have been able to recently.

I think perhaps that going on vacation made me realize that some of my dreams can actually come true...whereas maybe I doubted that previously?

Kal May 23rd, 2006 01:42 PM

BRAVO, ilove...Bravo! =D&gt;
=D&gt;
How we do forget sometimes.

ilovetotravel29 May 23rd, 2006 01:51 PM

Thank you so much, Kal!

Bellissimo! (or however you spell it...)

suze May 23rd, 2006 01:58 PM

Every single trip I've ever taken. I wouldn't say &quot;very depressed&quot; for me but definitely there is a post journey let-down. And I can't think of a single place I have visited that I haven't spent some serious time day-dreaming about what it would be like to live there.

MonicaRichards May 23rd, 2006 01:59 PM

I think the issue is less leaving some great places and more about getting back into the drudgery of every day life. Chores, trees falling down in the back yard, leaky roof and baby oppossums in the house (this all happened last week, right after I got back from a week in San Diego) Who wouldn't rather be on the beach or at Legoland with their kids! I agree, the only way to cope is to immediately start planning another vacation.

P_M May 23rd, 2006 02:41 PM

I usually start feeling the blahs the night before flying home. That's when I get a sad, sinking feeling knowing my trip is over. But then I start thinking about how happy I will be to see my baby dog again, I feel a lot better. :-)

suze May 23rd, 2006 03:10 PM

What Monica points out is very true for me. Part of that &quot;disappointed&quot; feeling is going back to work, driving my car, grocery shopping, doing laundry, etc.

I really miss having someone tidy up, make the bed, and give me clean towels every day or so (from staying at hotels), having a good breakfast served by nice waiters (something I never do at home)...

iamq May 23rd, 2006 03:39 PM

My depression starts the day before we have to leave to come home and ends the minute the plane lands at SFO.((Y)) &quot;Oh Auntie Em, there's no place like home.&quot;

-Bill

Kal May 23rd, 2006 03:44 PM

OK..since nobody has the skin to mention it...wadda bout coming home to the &quot;home field toilet&quot; advantage!?!?

Takes away some of the blahs!

Kal Bundy

Kingfisherqueen May 23rd, 2006 04:00 PM

Yes Kal - and my own cozy bed with my favorite pillow.

utahtea May 23rd, 2006 04:11 PM

I call them vacation withdrawals. If I'm gone a week the withdrawals take a week, if I'm gone for 4 weeks then the withdrawals last 4 weeks....but the trips are worth the withdrawals :)

Utahtea

girlonthego May 23rd, 2006 05:48 PM

I have to say that when we came home from Hawaii and I saw the amount of wet, sandy and clean laundry all piled in suitcases....lots of suitcases... after no sleep and there was no food in the house... and no Lavaflows(excellent drink) waiting for me....I definitely had vacation withdrawl!!!

I think after my trip is over, I get a little melancholy until the next vacation planning starts. If it is very far off, then I am a little sad. I spend a lot of time thinking of vacations that I want to take and then I spend a lot of time selling my husband on the idea. Eventually I wear him down with the right place and poof...I am off again!!:)

lynnejoel1015 May 23rd, 2006 06:22 PM

one of my best friends (anna) and i traveled to mexico together and came up with the philosophy that <i>a vacation is just the right length when you feel ok about going back home</i>. i think at the end of a healthy vacation, it should feel good to return home.

sometimes i practice what i preach so to speak, and sometimes i feel the blues upon returning home.