Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Post Ranch Inn Vs. Ventana Inn for Sister Bonding, food/wine

Old Mar 16th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both of these resorts look great! I am still having trouble deciding. Most reviews are from couples... Which would you all recommend for a sister trip?

It's my sister's 40th birthday, since she has small children we only get one night (so staying on the grounds from check-in to check-out would probably be the way to go), and my sister is a chef, major foodie and really into wine.

We like doing spa stuff but can do without it, although she definitely appreciates a good soaking experience, private or communal. She's big into the service being impeccable, but not into stuffy or celeb oriented. TV is not important. Maybe the restaurant quality/wine list would be the tiebreaker. I have heard a lot of comparisons... seems like PRI is better for food- wine, but is Ventana more sister friendly with the bigger rooms? Also we love nice walks and don't mind any sort of "trek" to things like pools, restaurants, etc. Thanks!
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 05:20 PM
SAB

PRI is better for food. Check to see if either have double/double rooms--that is the way I tell if a place is really more for couples or easily accomodates non-couples.
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, SAB. Neither has doubles... I wish! I'm thinking perhaps stay at Ventana which seems maybe more appropriate and then dinner at PRI...
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 07:46 PM

PRI's location blows Ventana's out of the water, especially the original north end of the property. The setting at PRI is amazing.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 09:24 AM

Ventana is nestled on a hillside overlooking Big Sur's dramatic Pacific coastline. Ventana offers amazing accommodations for those seeking a romantic getaway, luxurious escape or a relaxing vacation. Offering spacious suites and guest rooms are decorated elegantly rustic. The Restaurant at Ventana utilizes local, sustainable ingredients from California’s Central Coast to create memorable dishes to pair with our award-winning wine list.

http://members.seemonterey.com/ventanainnspa/

Post Ranch Inn is on the cliffs of Big Sur, California Provides the ultimate accommodations for a romantic getaway for those seeking a luxurious escape for a honeymoon, anniversary, or a relaxing vacation. Post Ranch is often a spot where people go for romantic getaways. Many rooms have one bed, although several have a sitting area which can be used as a twin bed. Sierra Mar uses seasonal, local and garden ingredients to create a prix fixe, four-course menu which changes on a daily basis.

http://members.seemonterey.com/postranchinn/

I work with the Monterey County Convention & Visitors Bureau and it is my job to make sure your visit to the county is memorable and amazing.