Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Post Election Recovery Hotel! (SoCal) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/post-election-recovery-hotel-socal-476967/)

Little_Man Sep 27th, 2004 12:13 PM

Post Election Recovery Hotel! (SoCal)

I've been working hard volunteering during this election for the guy who will most probably lose :)! so my husband wants to take me away for a "recovery" weekend after it's all over!

What hotel would you stay in in southern Cal. for a relaxing weeekend, in a pretty spot?

Any comments on the Beach House Hermosa Beach?

Thanks!!! Views from all parties welcomed ;)!

Gardyloo Sep 27th, 2004 12:35 PM

Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel.

And don't worry. Ralph can run again in '08.

Little_Man Sep 27th, 2004 12:39 PM

Thanks, Gardyloo! ;)!
The Ritz is in a lovely spot, but I think there are some ongoing renovations...?

rjw_lgb_ca Sep 27th, 2004 12:51 PM

Montage Resort, Laguna Beach is shockingly expensive, but worth every penny. I haven't heard about renovations at the RCLN-- I do love the place, however. I'd find out just what they're working on....

The Beach House is actually cool and fun, and Hermosa's a great town to rest and recover in. I would consider it a wonderful choice.

How about going historic and booking a weekend at the Del...? You can do a lot worse than Coronado, <i>n'est-ce pas</i>?

lcuy Sep 27th, 2004 12:54 PM

I'd stay at either the Hotel del or the Marriot in Coronado for a nice relaxing weekend in November.
PS sorry to hear you're working for George!

kalena Sep 27th, 2004 10:26 PM

Me too! In fact, I may take a trip to the mainland to help with this effort.

Fingers crossed, hope that Americans will reach the right conclusion.

May need a weekend or more to recover, but gotta do all I can between now and then, it's that important. :-)

Lcuy! Nice to see you the other night! Imua Hawaii!

lcuy Sep 28th, 2004 01:37 AM

You too, Kalena! And despite the fact that I almost didn't recognize you, I love your hair- makes you look about 25 years old!!
Lucy

Little_Man Sep 28th, 2004 09:26 AM

Thanks guys! Fingers crossed, but I don't feel like I can get my hopes too high...
The Del Coronado looks nice, but there are a lot of bad reviews on trip advisor... which makes me a little wary--

I do love a nice room!
Now I'm even thinking of a deluxe hotel in LA, such as the St. Regis or maybe even the Park Hyatt! Any opinions on those.

snowrooster Sep 28th, 2004 09:30 AM

Can I go with you? I don't think I can take four more years of you know who (especially in southern Ohio where most folks think he can do no wrong). I'll stop - best to save my political rantings for a political bb. Sorry. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

kalena Sep 28th, 2004 02:55 PM

25 !! LOL! Thank you lcuy so much for the lovely compliment. Thinking botox, though ;-) got the idea from a certain high power woman with initials THK whom I very much admire.

Fares are cheap to the mainland right now, and frankie, you are wise to factor a recovery weekend into your plans for the next few weeks. Do let us know what you decide upon. Aloha - k

kalena Oct 3rd, 2004 10:53 PM

It's looking more likely that I'll be extending my trip to the mainland and also help with the effort - Things are looking UP!

Frankie, did you decide on Beach House?

sallymed Oct 4th, 2004 05:59 AM

Hotel Bel Air!

Little_Man Oct 4th, 2004 07:21 AM

Hey, Maybe it won't be a recovery weekend, but a celebratory weekend after all! Who knows!
Right now, I have reservations at the St. Regis LA, even tho that didn't fit my original criteria.
My husband didn't think the Beach House looked all that great, although I thought it did, and he didn't want to go back to the Ritz Laguna.
So, still open for suggestions!
And trying not to get too hopeful ;)!

leelane911 Oct 4th, 2004 07:55 AM

I would not buy the champagne yet, people. There are more than two candidates, and that's where I'm going.

Little_Man Nov 8th, 2004 08:51 AM

well, we ended up at the St. Regis LA, and thanks for all the good suggestions!
It is an excellent hotel, not quite up to the Beverly Hills Hotel for service or prettiness of rooms, but still, very nice.
My favorite thing about it was the 25th floor balcony with a fantastic view of LA and the sunset...
Thanks again for great suggestions...
Glad to be living in California!!!

kalena Nov 8th, 2004 06:17 PM

And I did two nights at the Biltmore in Coral Gables. Beautiful, and much needed. Glad to be back in Hawaii - met many from California while in Florida.

:-) The work goes on.