Possible Phoenix/Sedona itinerary

Apr 11th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Possible Phoenix/Sedona itinerary

Am looking into some possible trips, with this one being Phoenix/Sedona in Arizona. Have done a good bit of research, and would like some thoughts on the itinerary below. Please note that I will not have a car and don't intend to rent one. All but the "yet another day" attractions look to to be on or near Phoenix Light Rail stops, while those on the last listed day look like they can be reached using a combination of buses and light rail. Please note that I'm not concerned about the heat as I seem to handle it well and plan to drink lots of water along the way. I also very much like long sightseeing days, and plan to stay someplace close by a Light Rail stop:

Possible Phoenix itinerary

One day
Downtown: Heard Museum, Phoenix Art Museum, Burton Barr Library. Arizona D’backs game in evening

Another day
Downtown: Arizona State Capitol, Arizona Mining and Mineral Museum, Wells Fargo History Museum, Phoenix Museum of History, Historic Heritage Square

And another day
Desert Botanical Garden, Phoenix Zoo, Arizona Historical Society Museum, Hall of Flame Firefighting Museum

Still another day
Pueblo Grande Museum, Tempe Center for the Arts, Arizona State University Art Museum

Yet another day
Mesa Contemporary Arts, Arizona Museum of Natural History, Scottsdale Center for the Arts, Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art

I probably wouldn't have an extra day, but likely would try to include a tour of the Wrigley Mansion and seeing the Arizona Biltmore, if so. Taliesin West does not appear to be reachable by public transportation, but it looks like the other two can be reached via bus.

Sedona can be reached via a shuttle that runs from the Phoenix Airport:

Possible Sedona itinerary

Two hour-long trolley tours (includes Chapel of the Holy Cross, Boynton Canyon, Long Canyon), Sedona Arts Center, Sedona Heritage Museum

Chances are these would have to be broken up into two days with an overnight stay. Making this a true "day trip" by the shuttle's schedule would entail an 11:30 AM arrival in Sedona from Phoenix and a 4:00 PM departure from Sedona to Phoenix. It would be great to make this a true day trip, but the logistics don't look like they'd work out quite right.

Please note that I have been to both rims of the Grand Canyon before and have also visited Petrified Forest National Park/Painted Desert in the past, so I wouldn't be including these. Tuscon looks like it would be a pain without a car and seems to be less endowed with good things to see unless you venture out into the desert with a car.

Many thanks.
Apr 11th, 2012, 11:36 AM

Is this the schedule you are working with?
http://www.sedona-phoenix-shuttle.com/schedule.html
Have you ever stopped at the animal park at Camp Verde?
Could you take one of the later shuttles on the day before and stay overnight in a Sedona hotel and be rested and ready to see the town before 11:30AM?
Apr 11th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

tom -- yes, that's the shuttle schedule I was looking at. Great idea on taking the later shuttle from Phoenix, then an overnight in Sedona, then one Sedona sightseeing day, then catching the last shuttle back -- thanks for the feedback. Much more efficient.
Apr 11th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Bach, I'm surprised you were able to fit in all those places in Phoenix just using public transportation. Nice job!

Couple more you might be interested in during your two days 'downtown' ... the Arizona Science Center often has some interesting exhibits and it's a short distance from the ball park, probably in what you called the "Historic Heritage Square".

In the same square are two of the more interesting restaurants in the Phoenix area, both serving lunch. One is Pizzeria Bianco, one of the most famous pizza places in the entire US and winner of several national awards for Best Pizza. If you go after 1 PM there is rarely a wait, though there are often long waits for dinner.

Across the plaza about 30 yards is Nobuo at Teeter House, a Japanese restaurant with excellent food in the 'small plates' (Japanese Izakaya) manner.

Chef Nobuo Fukuda is a former James Beard winner for "Best Chef - Southwest" (2007), and Chris Bianco won the same award in 2003, the only time a pizza chef has been so honored in any US region. I consider these two of the five most interesting places to dine in the Phoenix area, yet lunch is relatively inexpensive.

http://nobuofukuda.com/
http://pizzeriabianco.com/
http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...ix-review.html (but the omakase service has not been available since the Japanese earthquake 13 months ago)

Search this Thread