Possible move to Taunton, MA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not so much of a travel question..but I'll be traveling there to check it out! My fiance is considering a job in Taunton, MA. We are both in NJ currently, and have been born and raised here. Can anyone shed some light on the area..where you could commute to easily for a job (for myself)? I have never heard of the town and would just like to get some feedback on it. TIA
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 10:21 AM

I actually live not far from there. Pretty nice town, that is getting built up to almost a city...Lots of shopping and restaurants, and it has decent size shopping mall. It has bad and good parts to it. It's about an hour commute or less to Boston. Most people in that area commute to Boston or suburbs of Boston like Brockton, Quincy, Braintree. Not a bad area. I'm further south towards the ocean which is about 30-40 minutes away. I guess it all boils down to what you like in a city/town and what you do for a living.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 10:36 AM
sam

This website could be informative and gives you links to other relevent sites. Taunton is pretty handy to Cape Cod, Boston, Foxboro (home of Patriots football), and Tweeter Center (outdoor concert venue). There are plenty of towns around it that have good shopping and restaurants too. Best of luck!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 10:40 AM
sam

Sorry! Here's that site:
http://www.mass.gov/portal/index.jsp...&go_city2.y=13
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Plenty of people commute to work in Providence, RI. US44 is a pretty quick drive between the two cities.

If you decide to commute to Boston, note that there are commuter trains from Middleboro (to the East) or Attleboro (to the West). May be a good alternative to driving.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies..thought I would get yelled out since it's a relo question. Is there commuting access from TAUNTON to Boston (and it sounds like I could drive to Providence)? I don't think I'd drive to Boston..it's like driving to NYC in comparison I assume. (I'm in HR, but it's not like finding a job is easy regardless of what field you're in.) Any suggestions for good towns nearby as well is helpful too...houses in the 350K range.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:31 PM

If you want to work in Boston - I would suggest looking for houses in Middleboro, Lakeville, Bridgewater or Mansfield. They all have easy access toa commuter train that goes right into Boston. This ticket could cost you about $200 per month plus $2.00 per day for parking.

If you want to work in Providence, I would look in Attleboro.
You won't make the same salary in Providence that you will in Voston and the commute to Providence in no piece of cake. It is usually a traffic nightmare. All of the above towns rate better in my book than Taunton. If you come out and drive around these towns - you'll see what I mean. You can get plenty of house for that money in any of these towns....probably more house in Taunton because it is a lower income area. IMO
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 12:36 PM

Weldy:
Taunton is and has been a city for at least a century. It is a historical place, and has a building boom going on. Prices of homes are rising quickly.Look around at the surrounding towns as someone advised you.(Raynham,Bridgewater,East Bridgewater,West bridgewater,Middleboro,Lakeville,Easton,Mansfield, Norton.All have access to public transportation to Boston. Don't drive to work
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 08:52 AM

Weldy76

Try www.newenglandmoves.com website, when you register (free) you can look at houses for sale in your price range and chosen towns. You can also look at recent home sales to find out how much houses are going for.

We used this website when we moved from England, it’s very useful.