Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Possible alternatives to Sanibel for people who like nature

Old Aug 4th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just retired, and last year we rented a house on Sanibel for a month (we also stayed a few days in both Cedar Key and Englewood). We liked Sanibel a lot for a long stay because of its lack of high rises, the bike trails, the ability to both visit the sheltered bay side and the ocean beaches, the huge nature preserve etc. We fit in its demographic quite well and were comfortable in the area so decided we'd rent there again this year for a month in Nov. or Dec.

Now, before I make a booking, I thought I'd do some research to see if there are other places we aren't aware of we'd enjoy as much (and that aren't perhaps as pricey a locale). While it is nice, going to the beach isn't at the top of our list as much as being in a place where there are backwaters (intercoastal waterways, bays, preserves, bayous) to kayak and where my husband can fly fish. This year we'll also be taking our boat so we can explore further afield from our rental location. Interesting areas to bike and walk are also important to us. Is Sanibel my best bet, or do you have any other ideas I should think about too? Thanks much.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 07:46 AM

perhaps a state park?

http://www.floridastateparks.org/OscarScherer/

http://www.floridastateparks.org/mya...er/default.cfm
I believe this park has cabins with kitchens, not sure about the 1st one.

You don't have to camp. You can stay at a nearby hotel or motel, but the locations are great. You're still very close to the beautiful beaches of Sarasota. Your SO can fish on the river(s), both of you can enjoy biking/and walk the trails. Birdwatching, occasional aligator sighting, etc.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 02:35 PM

On the east coast, Sebastian Inlet.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 04:06 PM

Apalachicola (not swimmable), Wakulla Springs State Park, Everglades City, are three places I like with nature galore.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 05:05 PM

Anna Maria City, lots of birds, lots of water.
Old Aug 4th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

These are some excellent ideas, and I am looking into all of them. I guess I should have mentioned that my husband in interested in saltwater fishing, so we are looking for more coastal locations. Thanks all.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 04:05 AM

Would Matlacha be of interest?

http://www.coastalliving.com/travel/...island-florida
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 04:11 AM

Marco Island--10 mile beach, bays, nature preserves, everglades, fishing, golf, great resturants
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 04:35 AM

November would still be nice on the Panhandle. Lots of fishing there but I'm not sure how fishing is in November. We also love Sanibel and visited several years. We always went in Feb. but it has gotten expensive.

We love the Beaches of 30A--Seagrove, Grayton, Rosemary. We spent last February there, which is the off season. Temperatures were in the 60s. Great walking beach, bike trail,golf, state parks.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 07:46 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Indian Pass or Cape San Blas
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Interestingly enough we spent a week in Matlacha about ten years ago, and I'd thought of that.

Last year we never made it down as far as Marco Island, so I'll have to look into that locale.

Beaches of 30A I am not at all familiar with and will check into.

I kind of am a little bit familiar with the locale of Cape San Blas but know nothing about Indian Pass. So, I'll look into these too.

We really did like Sanibel, but, as LinidinOhio says, it is a pretty pricey locale. We are willing to pay the premium if it truly is that unique and special, but I just want to make sure it is worth the price. I also need to be frank here. Some areas in Florida that we went through we did not feel as though we were a fit to the demographics of the tourists vidsiting there. If I am honest, although we are not super high end tourists by any means, the more upscale ambience of Sanibel was a good match for us.

Thanks all.
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 06:35 PM

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
Check out the Barefoot beach or Bonita Beach area of Naples….rent a house and explore the backwaters..walk the long beaches…fish…..great biking trails….and of course, access to great restaurants and cultural activities.

Also love Key West, but Marathon is known more for fishing.