Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Portola Plaza in Monterey - No Air Conditioning?

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about booking the Portola Plaza for a two-night stay in the middle of June, but I just read that this hotel does not have air conditioning. I did some research on Monterey's weather, and I see that the average high temperature for June is 66.9 degrees, so I can see why air conditioning is unnecessary. But I am hoping some Monterey-area residents or previous visitors can confirm that we will be okay without air conditioning in June. Perhaps it's my experience of North Carolina summers that's making this difficult to fathom!

As an aside, I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on a Monterey hotel. Portola Plaza is our leading contender, but we have also thought about the Hilton Garden Inn and the Best Western Beach Resort. All three have gotten very mixed reviews on Fodors and on Trip Advisor. By way of background, we are looking for something that's no more than $200/night and that has nice ammenities. Location isn't really an issue - we're happy to drive. Mostly we want a hotel that's as upscale as we can afford.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
the vast majority of folks living on the mid coast don't have a/c. (in June you be more likely to need heating than a/c)
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Portola Plaza is nice, it used to be the Doubletree, and it's a great location for a lot of the historial stuff to see in Monterey ( the first theatre, etc... as well as restaurants (Cibo's is a favorite) and fairly close to the water.

You won't need air conditioning but you'll need sweaters and a room with a fireplace if you can get it!
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:14 AM

I only recall two times in recent years where the Monterey area would of been uncomfortable without ac. And I think that was in September or early October.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 12:30 PM

I agree, you will be fine without a/c. We lived in Monterey for a year, and I actually longed for hot weather--it was always chilly to me, at least a little, what with the ocean breeze. Our house was not air conditioned and had no ceiling fans, but I never had all the windows thrown open that way I would in Virginia--too cold!
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Excellent! Thanks to all of you for your insight.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Yep - the others are right. There are about 2 days a year in which AC would be nice, and even then, it isn't really a necesity. I grew up in Santa Cruz and Watsonville and most people I know in that area don't have AC. Bring a jacket and long pants though. Evenings and mornings can be chilly.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:29 PM

I stayed at the Portola Plaza in Aug 2006 attending a small convention where I was a vendor. Even in Aug there was no problem with not having air conditioning and actually the day I arrived, it had been a pretty warm day. Even if the day happened to be warm, as soon as the sun goes down you need a jacket. The only thing I don't like about not having AC is that you have to leave a window open if it's a little warm. My room faced the inner courtyard and the first night I had to leave the window open a little. Early and I mean early the next morning, the seagulls were having a little GTG in the courtyard. I have never come so close to wanting to kill some birds. LOL

The next night it was cooler so I closed my window and there was no noise. I enjoyed my stay at the Portola Plaza and thought it was a nice hotel and very convenient to the sights downtown.