Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New: Saturday Public Transit to/from Annapolis!!

Old Feb 28th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

I know that every once in a while the question of public transit to Annapolis comes up, and I just wanted to let you all know that we now have transit access all day Saturdays

http://ytsonline.net/schedule.htm

YTS is now running a van SIX days a week (excluding federal holidays), at $5 per trip, from New Carrollton to Annapolis and back.
When taking the van from New Carrollton, be aware that the van does not pick up from the bus lane but from the Kiss and Ride lane (the one with the taxis). When exiting the station, cross the bus lane and walk to the bus stop shelter on the right side. A van labeled "921" will pull in a few minutes before the scheduled departure side. (I know it looks a little bit sketchy, but it is actually the right van...)

In the last few weeks, they have added not only Saturday runs, but two midday runs. See the schedule for further details.

If you have not yet seen the adorably quaint capital city of Annapolis, you should!!

Hope this helps,
Hannah
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

P.S. I don't work for YTS. I honestly just felt like this was information that most Fodorites wouldn't be searching for but might appreciate
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 09:27 PM

Thanks so much for posting this! We are planning a long weekend to Annapolis and I was trying to figure out how the heck to get back and forth to DC. Really appreciate the help!
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 03:40 AM

Thank you so much for this information. I have wanted to do a trip to Annapolis without having to rent a car and this information is perfect (and very detailed).
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 04:47 AM

That's terrific news for visitors to the DC area who don't like to rent a car, Hannah. Annapolis is such a jewel in the DC area and I think this bus service will allow more people to discover that.

I was curious about Annapolis and managed a few years back, on a weekday, to take the commuter (Dillon's) bus leaving New Carrollton in the morning (had to get up quite early from my parents' place near West Falls Church) and return via a late afternoon commuter bus.

At the time (2006 maybe?), the last bus from New Carrollton was at 8:45am with weekday only service, so even determined as I was to see the Maryland capital, I had to be very organized! That was the only way (other than cabbing or catching a Greyhound out of Baltimore). Needless to say, I was so glad I did!

In those days, for non-driving DC tourists (there are more of these than one might think) who visited on the weekend or who like to sleep in, Annapolis was close to impossible. Now it's possible! I hope this project succeeds.

Thank you for this update! Daniel
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

My pleasure! I think Annapolis is just the cutest, quaint little town, and I know how much I love walking around here.

And to know that this has already helped two fodorites come visit = day made.