Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Portland Saturday Market CLOSED until March!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been coming to Portland for many years and this is the first time I have gone to the Saturday Mkt and it is closed... as are many businesses in the area.
We were walking and literally surrounded by street people who seem to have taken over the area. Signs on stands in the doorways of some businesses say that due to serious theft they watch and videotape all customers.
I hope Portland does not let this cool part of town get so bad that tourists will not want to go. It seemed that we could not walk 1 block without some street person doing something totally gross in front of us.
Such a shame...
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

I searched and searched for this thread and only found it by going back into my history and locating the url...
Why do posts get "lost"?
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

It did ot again... I searched for Portland and Saturday and this post did not come up.
It makes me crazy!
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 09:10 PM

Tx, I think the problem is that messages are not immediately available in the search function. There's a time-lapse between when you post and when you can use the search box to find your message, though I don't know the interval. You can find your message immediately (I think) if you click on your screen name (in red) at the top of your original message or by clicking on your screen name (in blue) next to "Welcome" at the very top left-hand side of the screen.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 10:57 PM

The Portland Saturday Market is always closed this time of year. It closes from Christmas to March. This is not something new. It is an outdoor market and that is the rainiest season of the year.

Branch out and try a different area of the city for shopping, like Hawthorne St., NW 23rd, Pearl District, Sellwood, Multnomah.

As for street people, they are usually around that part of downtown, including kids. Not new either. Maybe you didn't notice them for the excitement of the market.

I think most stores videotape customers these days, at least everywhere I go, and they're eager for customers to know.

So, go out and enjoy - and no shoplifting!