Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Portland Oregon hotel with great views (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/portland-oregon-hotel-with-great-views-799671/)

FloridaLaura Aug 6th, 2009 09:36 AM

Portland Oregon hotel with great views

We will be travelling through Portland after the Columbia River Gorge and before the Oregon Coast just for one night. We have a rent a car. I am looking for a medium priced hotel ($100 approx) with maybe a great view of the city. Any suggestion I can look up would be greatly appreciated! Maybe some pubs or nice eateries to try out to.

Thanks in advance!

kimamom Aug 6th, 2009 10:09 AM

You may want to try Priceline for a 4 star hotel in Portland, they are all nice. We have stayed at the Benson and The Heathman in downtown Portland. The Riverplace Hotel is also on Priceline, a luxury hotel with great views of the river.

We were just in Portland yesterday picking our daughter up at the airport. Some nice places to try for meals: Salty's on the Columbia, Park Kitchen, Andina, Lovely Hula Hands, Bluehour or Higgins. Fenouil in the Pearl District is also very good as well as Wildwood and Paley's Place in Nob Hill where we did some shopping yesterday. Have fun! ***kim*** ((*))

Andrew Aug 6th, 2009 10:23 AM

Strangely, there aren't many hotels in Portland with great views. You might find one in the Lloyd District (east side of the Willamette River) that will have a view of downtown Portland, but I'm guessing that room wouldn't be available for $100. The Marriott Downtown Waterfront has views east from downtown of the river and Mt. Hood (if the sky is clear) - but again, not sure that would be in the $100 range.

I also recommend Priceline's Name Your Own Price service for Portland (if you're not familiar: they don't tell you the hotel til after they've accepted your offer), and though you could probably get a 4-star hotel for under $100 (plus $20 to $25 parking per night), I'm guessing it won't have a view. Sometimes you get lucky with Priceline, though.

beachbum Aug 6th, 2009 10:30 AM

You'll choke at the rack rates, but I know the recently opened Nines has been running some great deals, and the views from the rooftop restaurant, Departure, are pretty good. So, check there. Otherwise, I think the best bet with your budget would be to bid on Priceline. I've read of lots of people getting the "4-star" Benson Hotel for under $100. If that doesn't work, check out Hotel 50; maybe they'll upgrade you to a river view room. In any case, I can't think of any hotel in town that has a great city view.

FloridaLaura Aug 6th, 2009 10:58 AM

You guys are the best. Off to check the many names listed! Thanks

lcuy Aug 6th, 2009 02:57 PM

You can shop at Paley's? I usually recommend the NW 23rd area for shopping or out between SE 35th and -39th on Hawthorne.

mms Aug 6th, 2009 03:29 PM

lcuy--:D

hopingtotravel Aug 8th, 2009 07:35 AM

Views in Portland are from up in the Rose Garden. Most of the downtown hotels view city streets--and not in that price range. However, you won't be spending a whole lot of time in your room!