Reload this Page >

Portland, Oregon---Highlights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Peter

What are some must see and do places in Portland, Oregon?

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Wendy

My favorites are the Portland Art Museum, Borders Book Store, shopping-lunch or coktails-dinner in the Pearl District, and wandering around the downtown area in general.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Don

Powell's Books, the Rose Gardens on the west side of town, and the Cadillac Cafe (yummy French toast with blueberries and hazelnuts) for breakfast.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Wendy

Peter, I mis-typed! I meant Powell's book store (as Don mentioned) not Borders!! Powell's is the 2nd largest book store in the US and is fantastic!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Peter

Thanks to you both for the Powell's Book Store tip---I'm a librarian, so this is right up my alley.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Julie

Japanese Garden, Saturday Market, outdoor concerts at the Zoo. I loved the 24-hour Church of Elvis, but I think it is closed now.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Portland

I live in Portland and I am sooo lucky to be here! I love it. Powells is downtown Portland on 10th and Burnside, plan to spend several hours here, then explore the rest of downtown. Don't forget about Powells Travel bookstore at Pioneer Square. Take time out to do a day trip up the Scenic Highway/Columbia Gorge and check out all the waterfalls. Another fav of mine is the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI).

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Kathleen

The new Chinese Garden (in the Chinatown area)is beautiful. Don't miss tea in the teahouse - try something exotic (wait staff is very helpful.) Also - note that on "First Thursdays" of each month Pearl District galleries are open in the evening.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Mia

Peter:

Poking around the Hawthorne neghborhood and strolling the waterfront are both enjoyable activities.

If you're a dessert fan, don't miss Papa Haydn (on either NW 23rd Ave. or SE Milwaukie). Another "locals-only" dessert experience is the Rimsky-Korsakoffee House at 707 SE 12th. They have nice desserts, teas, and coffee drinks with live classical music most nights. If you go, make sure to visit the bathroom. (Trust me.)

If you're a librarian, you may want to checck out the main library on SW 10th. It went through a refurbishment a few years ago and the attention to detail is wonderful.

Enjoy Portland!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Hank

Forest Park and Japanese Gardens.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Susie

Portland--shopping on NW 23rd Ave and in the Pearl District; dining in the Pearl District. Grab a Willamette Week paper about art and current events. Art galleries in the Pearl Dist., Downtown Portland Pioneer Courthouse Square. Best book store in the world Powell's Books on 10th & Burnside. Japanese and Rose Gardens overlooking the city. Drive to Mt. hood and have lunch at Timberline Lodge (1 hour from Portland); to the oregon Coast (90 mins) or to the Columbia Gorge--1 hour for brunch at the Columbia Gorge Hotel (Sat. or Sunday--need reservations) which is a 6 course EVENT. Saturday/Sunday markets in portland are great--crafts and foods under the Burnside bridge along the waterfront; also farmer's markets abound on Saturdays all over the area. Enjoy!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Sara

You have gotten wonderful recommendations. Japanese Garden is one of my favorites. The Rose Garden is lovely with great views (and free). I would definately encourage you to take a day trip up the Gorge. Just after Troutdale take the exit to the scenic highway. It is a curvy but beautiful road.

Since all my favorite stuff has been mentioned I'll give some other day trips from Portland.

If you like wine there are lots of wineries within 2 hours drive. Mt. St. Helens is probably about an hour and well worth it. Just there last weekend for my first time and really enjoyed it.

MAX is the mass transit 'train' and is free in the downtown area - it can save your feet a little.

Enjoy

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 02:24 PM
sightseer

There's also a minor league baseball stadium located right in town.

If you like antiquing, check out the Sellwood area for antique stores.

There are also a number of places to go listen to music. One of my favorites when I'm in town, is to go listen to a jazz jam session on Monday evenings on the patio at Produce Row.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Peter

Thanks to you all! Your tips will come in handy beginning tomorrow when we fly off to Portland. And, Mia, the library pointer is very much appreciated.