Portland, Oregon and Washington in 3 days

Jul 4th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Original Poster
Portland, Oregon and Washington in 3 days

I need a great plan for a short trip. I am meeting my sister in Portland on the evening of August 3 and flying out on Wednesday afternoon. I use to go to Portland and Washington for work before kids. My sister has never traveled. We are water people. We would only be able to do short walks, no hikes. I have many memories but I keep getting Washington and Oregon mixed up. I mentioned taking the ferry, whale watching, walking along the beach, waterfalls. This has really got her excited. I do not mind driving. Funds are limited otherwise I would definitely take a sea plane to San Juan islands. Can someone help me pack as much as possible into 3.5 days.? This might be our one and only trip, so I would really like to show her the beauty of the Pacific Northwest.
Jul 4th, 2013, 06:46 PM
In this short time period, I would explore the Columbia River Gorge (historic highway and waterfalls) and spend the rest of the time on the Oregon Coast (from Cannon Beach to Florence, including a whale watching tour out of Depoe Bay or Newport).

Rooms are expensive on the coast in August, but if you have money for a sea plane, you can afford rooms there.

Jul 4th, 2013, 07:35 PM
If you ever had a desire to see Mt. St. Helens this would be a good time to go. Go east from Castle Rock WA. If it is hot in the lower elevations, it is cool in the mountains.
Staying in Hood River after seeing the waterfalls would be good.
There is a toll ($1) bridge from Hood River called the "Bridge of the Gods" to WA 14.
There is a paved Forest Service road all the way from Carson WA to Randle (US 12) with a side road over to Windy Ridge viewpoint on the east side of Mt. St. Helens.

Search this Thread