Portland, Oregon Advice

Jun 19th, 2018, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Portland, Oregon Advice

Hello,
I will be flying into Portland, plan to visit the International Rose Test Garden and then visit the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area. Where would be the best place to stay? My hope is to fly into PDX ( at 4 pm), visit the Rose garden then get out of the city to spend the night. Drive the next day to see the Columbia Gorge area. Is there a town outside of the city limits that would be on the way?
Thanks so much for your help!
Pam
Jun 19th, 2018, 07:58 PM

Are you planning on renting a car at the airport or could you take the TriMet red line into the city and check into a hotel in Portland before going to the Rose Test Garden. You do want to ditch the luggage before heading to the garden. The red line is right outside baggage claim at PDX but you might want to check into a motel that has a shuttle to the airport in the east end of Portland.
Jun 19th, 2018, 10:29 PM

I guess it matters--do you want to drop your bags before going to the Rose Garden?

If so, get a hotel at Cascade Station. So as Tom suggested--hotels at the Cascade Station are all good--Residence Inn and Aloft are closest to Max stations and Hyatt nearly so.. Yes, you could take the Max from there to the Rose Garden. At Rush Hour, that would be far more fun than our traffic. You would need to take a shuttle up to the Rose Garden portion, so check that schedule. Driving will be a little challenging that time of day.

If you don't mind leaving your bags in your trunk, then go straight to the Rose Garden. In that case, you could stay the night at the historic McMenamins Edgefield in Troutdale. It's a restored County Poor Farm. I've never seen anyplace quite like it. The artwork alone is just stunning. You also could eat there--at either the more upscale restaurant or the brew pub.
Jun 20th, 2018, 06:55 AM

I also recommend the Edgefield in Troutdale. Excellent place to stay- a destination in itself. Not far from airport and an easy start to exploring the Gorge.
If you stay at airport, I recently enjoyed a stay at Aloft- very comfortable and a really good BBQ restaurant right across the street.
Jun 20th, 2018, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! I am planning to rent a car and drive to the Gorge but now I'm wondering if it would be better to take public transportation to the Rose Garden so I don't have to worry about parking and rush hour traffic. Not familiar with the Trimet system- is it user friendly? reliable? quicker then driving and finding parking? Thanks also for the hotel info, I will check them out!!
Jun 20th, 2018, 07:12 PM

I will chime in and also recommend The Edgefield in Troutdale. It's amazing - especially if there is a music show in the evening. Perfect for getting to the Gorge.
Jun 20th, 2018, 07:25 PM

The TriMet system is easy to use. The fare one way is $2.50 or $5 for the full day pass. Get on the red line light rail train right outside baggage claim at PDX or at another station near where your hotel is. Ride to the Washington Park station which brings you out near the Portland Zoo.
There is a free seasonal shuttle bus that runs a loop from the Washington Park TriMet station up to the International Rose Test Garden. There are about 550 rose bushes there. Parking at the garden is $2.00 per hour and sometimes the lots are quite full. The west end of the red line is Beaverton. In addition to the light rail system, your pass lets you ride on the city buses and a trolley in downtown Portland.
If it should rain, a good place to head is Powell's World of Books on Burnside.
Jun 21st, 2018, 01:22 PM

I am going to "ditto" tomfuller's comments. I used the system for the first time last fall. Easy to use and there always seems to be an option with a block or 2. I found the app to be very helpful. The only issue I had is that that buses do not always tell you what the next stop is. Therefore you may need a map to know exactly when to get off. Most of the bus drivers are more than willing to alert you of your stop but I met a couple that said no.
Jun 21st, 2018, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! Edgefield looks really cool so I made a reservation to stay there. The plan is to check traffic & weather when we arrive to determine if we should visit the Rose Garden. If we do, we'll probably take TriMet there and then drive to the hotel. I'm not sure how bad the traffic is in Portland but I'd rather not sit in it while I'm on vacation!
Jun 24th, 2018, 10:29 AM

My daughter and son in law were married at McMenamins - Edgefield in 2003. It was such a cool place and we loved it. However...it was in mid July and it is usually very warm weather wise (think 90 degrees plus). The hotel did not have A/C and it was quite miserable. Check to see if they have rooms now with A/C.

https://www.mcmenamins.com/edgefield

Last edited by nanabee; Jun 24th, 2018 at 10:33 AM.
Jun 25th, 2018, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, I will watch the weather and cancel if necessary!
Aug 3rd, 2018, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

I just want to thank you all for the good advice! Had a wonderful trip. We decided not to go to the Rose Garden since we were tired from the flight. But, the stay at McMenamin's was divine! LOVED it so much, we enjoyed wondering the grounds, visited the spa, restaurant and winery, there was even a free concert that night. Loved all the artwork! Thanks so much for the recommendation, I hope to visit more of their properties the next time I'm on the West Coast!!
Aug 3rd, 2018, 11:45 AM

We've wanted to stay there at the Edgefield for awhile, but never could find a vacancy that coincided with our visit. We have stayed at the McMenamins in Bend and it is awsome as well. It was an old Catholic school, and they've kept much of that theme. Awesome art there, too. Been there twice - the second time we were lucky enough to visit during their "Halfway to St. Patrick's Day" event, with various Irish bands playing (loved Five Pint Mary!). If you get a chance, be sure to go to this one. https://www.mcmenamins.com/old-st-francis-school
Aug 3rd, 2018, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the followup, pamalam. It's always nice to know people appreciated the tips, and glad you had fun at Edgefield. I've really enjoyed my stays there ant also at their Kennedy School location.
Aug 4th, 2018, 11:02 PM

Glad you enjoyed your trip, Pam! You'll have to come back to the Northwest again sometime.
Aug 5th, 2018, 08:45 AM

Another bit of "add to Pinterest" advice - McMenamin's looks fabulous!!
Aug 27th, 2018, 03:50 PM

McMenamin's is great, but if you can afford to spend just a little bit more I'd definitely look at Skamania Lodge. The more peaceful place by a long shot. It's just across Bridge of the Gods. Such a beautiful resort. Golf, spa, lots of hikes, a zip line and an amazing fine dining restaurant. It looks out over the Gorge and you can walk out to their very small ampitheater to see the river. One of my favorite places anywhere.
Aug 27th, 2018, 06:58 PM

>>McMenamin's is great, but if you can afford to spend just a little bit more I'd definitely look at Skamania Lodge.<<

A day late and a $ short . . . The OP's trip is over and done with and up thread she reported back about how good the trip was. They thought McMenamin's was divine.
Aug 28th, 2018, 12:52 PM

Thanks french. I have stayed at McMenamins as I mentioned up thread. II've also stayed at their Kennedy school in SE Portland. And recommend both. However the place you mentioned sounds intriguing. I definitely plan to check to out.