COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Portland,OR: The Monaco or Vintage Plaza?

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Portland,OR: The Monaco or Vintage Plaza?

'Morning everyone. My wife and I are stopping for one night in Portland on our way back from Cannon Beach this spring. Trying to decide between the Hotel Monaco and the Vintage Plaza....I know they are both Kimpton hotels and both look great. Any thoughts on these two choices? Differences in location, rooms, feel, etc? We are hoping to have dinner that night at Oba. I thought I would check in with Fodorites first before flipping a coin!
thanks as always,
CC
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 06:12 AM
mms

Flipping a coin would work Both are excellent locations, and both have great reputations. Even though we live here, we have stayed at the Monaco several times for events. It is a great hotel. We have not stayed at the VP, but do hear good things about it. Maybe do a price check and see which one has the better rate?
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 06:56 AM

Hotel Monaco was more recently remodeled, and usually gets higher marks. I personally would give a slight nod to Vintage Plaza's location, but as mms says, you should be happy with either. You want a coin with heads on both sides? ;-)

How'd you choose Oba? And since I'm being nosy, where are you staying in Cannon Beach?
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi again...just curious why the Vintage Plaza is considered a slightly better location?

As for Oba, some friends recently visited there and had an excellent meal. And I am always happy to recommend our favourite place in Cannon Beach..the Stephanie Inn!

So, two votes for the coin flip so far! Keep those votes coming!
cheers,
CC
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Hi again...just curious why the Vintage Plaza is considered a slightly better location?

Because Vintage Plaza is one block closer to Powell's Bookstore.

Book a suite at Monaco. checking for a possible deal at http://www.travelportland.com

Book a table for dinner at Paley's Place: http://www.paleysplace.net/

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 07:52 AM

Paley's is a great suggestion, so is the Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach. You must secure your reservation with a credit card at Stephanie Inn and reservations are essential here, they offer a Fixed Prixe menu, so call ahead to see if they are serving something you like the night you want to dine there.

Other nice choices for dinner in Cannon Beach include Newman's @ 988, Bistro and Gower St. Bistro. Enjoy your travels! ***kim***
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Actually more like three blocks, htty. But they're short! Yes, Vintage Plaza is closer to Powell's and the Pearl District, both of which are popular spots for visitors. Closer to Oba's too. ;-)

Not trying to steer you away from Oba's. It's been around a long time, and your friends are right. But, with Portland's dining revolution of the last several years, you don't often hear it recommended.

Ahhhh.... Stephanie Inn.... sigh....
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 11:22 AM

I love Portland, even lived there briefly. I thought Stephanie Inn was in Cannon Beach not Portland. Oh well maybe it was too long ago for me to remember.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM

Monaco.
We have stayed there a total of about 30 nights..never one complaint.
The locations are hardly worth the mention, the Vintage is a block away.
Vintage has regular rooms, sort of ordinary to me, the Monaco has suites and a wonderful lobby/living room and staff and I love it

Oba is such fun! Drinks are good, my last birthday in the US was celebrated at Oba...

Paleys is a nice "grown up" restaurant..
Fenouil is my favorite..

Yes, the Stephanie Inn is often praised by locals and visitors alike..how nice it is ony 90 min from town to Cannon Beach.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM
mms

Suzie--LOL, no, your memory is correct. Stephanie Inn is in Cannon Beach.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, as always, for the suggestions everyone..I've had a great time reading this thread today!
cheers,
CC
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 02:19 PM

I've stayed at both a number of times and prefer the Monaco mostly because of the size of the rooms/suites. I'm staying there again this weekend in fact ;-).