Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Portland or Seattle this Summer? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/portland-or-seattle-this-summer-973572/)

auty1 Apr 8th, 2013 01:29 PM

Portland or Seattle this Summer?

Hi all
I am planning a trip to either Seattle or Portland this July...with my 20 & 24 year old sons.
Which of the two cities would be more appealing? We like golfing, shopping, outdoor
activities and good restaurants. Thanks much.

happytrailstoyou Apr 8th, 2013 01:53 PM

They both have good golfing, shopping, and dining.

Seattle, being a larger city, may have a slight edge when it comes to shopping.

Portland is very close to the beautiful Oregon coast, the Columbia River Gorge, and Mt. Hood.

Outdoor destinations fairly close to Seattle include Mt. Rainier, the San Juan Islands, Olympic National Park, and the North Cascades.

HTTY

PS In your heart of hearts you probably suspect you will be more pleased if you pick Seattle rather than Portland. You are probably right.

spirobulldog Apr 8th, 2013 05:09 PM

We've only been to each place once each. We loved both. My wife and daughter give the edge to Portland, but I liked Seattle trip perhaps a bit better. Can't go wrong with either.

tomfuller Apr 8th, 2013 06:41 PM

How many days do you have? Are you intending to rent a car?
My suggestion with enough days would be to fly to one, see it then take an Amtrak Cascade train to the other see the other city and then fly home.
Oregon and Washington each have so much to see outside these cities that it would be a shame to miss.
Portland has the zoo and the Rose Gardens. Seattle has the Space Needle, Pike Place Market and the UW arboretum.
What did you want to see?

andrews98682 Apr 8th, 2013 09:00 PM

Pretty much a tossup. I prefer Portland, but Seattle's nice, too. Portland has a cool downtown, with an artsy vibe, great restaurants, Powell's bookstore and Washington Park. It's also a good base for day trips to the coast, Columbian River Gorge/Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens. Seattle has the Space Needle, Experience Music Project, Mt. Rainier. If you're baseball fans, Safeco Field is a great place to take in a game.

nanabee Apr 9th, 2013 06:37 AM

I would recommend Portland.

lenlu Apr 9th, 2013 11:05 AM

I live in Seattle but am from Portland. I like P-town because it's close to the beach (1 hour drive) and I think the dining is great. Shopping is good too. Both places have festivals and music. Both places offer nice golfing, some places near Seattle can involve a ferry ride to get to the course-if that's a big deal. Sometimes it is in the summer. Portland has a smaller feel. Shopping on NW 23rd is fun and the Pearl District offers great food. You can do outdoor activities in Seattle and Portland. Seattle is different in that it's on the Sound so a lot of water, waterfront dining, etc. This both on Lake Union and the Puget Sound. Maybe check the calendar and see what is going on in each city when you arrive and that may be a deciding factor. I dare say Portland is a little less pricey. Seattle is a pretty city though.

auty1 May 30th, 2013 04:19 PM

Hi all
thanks for all the advice...I think we are going to try Seattle first...but I am having
trouble finding a hotel...looking at the Marriott Waterfront...but it seems a bit
expensive for what they offer. The Inn at the Market is pretty booked up...
not sure if that neighborhood is ideal...lots of "noise" reports on tripadvisor in that area.
Any suggestions? I am looking for more space (oversized room or suite) since there are
three of us.
Thanks much!!

happytrailstoyou May 31st, 2013 08:46 AM

July is our peak tourist season.

The Mayflower, Andra, Warwick, Westin, and Sheraton are among the hotels in the retail core and convenient for sightseeing.

Homewood Suites on Pike Street offers suites with separate bedrooms.

HTtY

Fodorite018 May 31st, 2013 10:37 AM

Both cities are great, so don't worry about it.

That said, the Mayflower is one of my favorite hotels in Seattle. They have a number of rooms that have 2 full bathrooms, so if you are looking at one room that would be huge with 3 of you. The location is ideal, IMO.

Another option is the Alexis. The room we had there was enormous!!!! It had 2 queen beds, and then another area where they brought us a rolling bed. You still could have done cartwheels, the room was so big, lol. It had one tiny bathroom though.